Stuck block drain

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Both my block drains are and have been stuck. I drained the driver's side of the block via removal of the oil cooler, couldn't drain the pass side. Now that both heads are off I attempted to fix this.
I wrote off the driver side drain, I am going to put a drain in the oil cooler. The pass side, however, needs a drain. I tried a combo of adapters so I could use my 1/2" breaker bar that is about 30" long. Nothing. So I used an impact. That did nothing for a while until it stripped out :mad:
The drains are 1/4" rescessed square drive. I was reading the wardens page about his travails with an extractor, I have also been thinking about drilling the plug out to a smaller size and forgetting about NPT.
Any thoughts or ideas?
Thanks!
James

Whit

Reaction score
So this is like a 3/8" bolt with a 1/4" square drive ???

I have found many time that if you weld a nut on there that just a few minutes later you can turn it out with ease, If the bolt is flush kinna like you broke off the head of it you can take a flat washer that fits over the remains of the bolt, then you can place a nut up against the flat washer and weld inside the nut (extra heat as it wont take but a few seconds) then let it cool a few and turn it out. I have done this many times and have never been dissapointed yet.

rancherman84

P.E.R.F.E.C.T!
Reaction score
drill through it then use an extractor,sometimes just drilling through it will relieve the pressure on the threads,then the extractor will spin it right out,i've had the best luck with stubbey style extractors

Dalvaras

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry I can't give you any advice on your problem James. I am glad to see that you are working on the old truck though. It sure looked like it could be a nice ride last December when we all went out to look at it. Good Luck :thumbsup:

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
James,

I would drill it out then stuff an easy out in there and twist away - it should back out. As mentioned the stubby type work wonders on pipe plugs.

highest_vision

Reqistered User
Reaction score
Well unfortunately I have no access here to welding equipment, but given the style of fastener I could do that pretty well! :( My biggest fear with the extractor is breaking it off in the block. Or the drill bit. I don't have a very good track record when it comes to machining metal :rolleyes: Got some LH bits though, I'll have a go.
Thanks
James

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the same thing happen to the Bronco engine on the passenger side. I decided just to let it go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online