strange leak in TC 1356 shaft/yoke

romulus

Reaction score
i have fluid leaking from my transfer case. it looks like its coming out of the spline tube where it transitions into the ujoint yoke. there is a metal plug, kinda like a freeze plug, in the end of the spline tube, hence the u joint is throwing fluid everywhere.

i just replaced the bushing and oil seal in the tailshaft housing due to a vibration at 55.

guess i'm going to pull the driveshaft off when i get home tonight, pressurize the spline tube if i can and see if thats where its leaking from.

never heard of such a thing, thought you guys might have.

this old SOB....... fix one leak and another shows up-cuss

Squeaky_Wheel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am no expert but I would think it is one of 2 things. Either the seal is not correctly seated or there is too much fluid in the transfercase.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
When you replaces that seal did the shaft that goes into it have a groove worn in it? if so you may need a repair sleeve for the shaft to keep it from dumping oil out the new seal

romulus

Reaction score
its not leaking around the shaft seal, the seal is new and the yoke shaft is flawless.

figured out what it was, i took off the shaft, removed the u joint, and pressurized the interior of the spline tube. there is a sheet metal plug pressed into the bottom of the spline tube that was loose and allowing fluid to leak.

i knocked the plug out, lightly machined the seat where it goes in the yoke, just to clean it up and make it round again, and jb welded the plug back in, its all good now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
morerunner

Members online