Coolant Leak

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I have developed a coolant leak. I am not 100% sure yet but I think it’s coming from the bellhousing area as it’s dripping on the crossover pipe. It’s a small leak. Leaves a spot on the floor after a couple days. I rolled my spare engine out and the only thing I can see that could cause a coolant leak from there is the freeze plug on the drivers side. I’ve got a snake camera. I have a small UV light coming so hopefully I can see exactly where it’s coming from. Can you think of anywhere else that could cause antifreeze in that area? (Drivers side under the bellhousing)? The head gasket or intake most likely wouldn’t show there right?

I’ve got a trip scheduled for next week. If I find that the freeze plug is the issue, it seems like my options are try to seal it temporary, try to find plugs and a driver tool or mod the hole and put a standard plug in. Frankly I don’t like any of those options, but I’m pretty much up against it. It’s not loosing enough coolant to cause a problem (it’s a small puddle if parked for a couple weeks) I just worry about it spitting the plug. I do not want to put block seal in it and clog up the cooling system.

Thoughts?

Big Bart

Tow&Slow
Reaction score
Some thoughts if drivers side

Freeze plug
Coolant passage plug in head
Oil cooler
Head gasket
Crack in head or block, but not very common
After market coolant temp sensor

If you have aftermarket temp guage and it does not leak other than a drip every ten minutes you should be fine if you watch your temp.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Capillary action can make it difficult to find the source. One method to nail it down, take a piece of duct tape and affix it to a paper towel leaving half of the sticky side of the tape exposed. Then use the remaining sticky part of the tape to attach to the engine just below suspected leak. After waiting overnight check for wet area on towel. Relocate the towel (up or down) pending results until you positively identify the source.

gandalf

Reaction score
I have a faint recollection that there is/might be a freeze plug on the back of the engine, hiding inside the area covered by the bell housing. If that is the case, and it is that freeze plug which is leaking, you must pull the transmission to have access.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Found it!!

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

It really was the most logical explanation. Now the question. How to fix it. Does anyone have a freeze plug install tool they would be either willing to part with or rent/loan out? I think going back stock is probably the most logical thing to do.

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
I usually install freeze plugs with anaerobic sealer on the edge, and a good size socket... Might be worth a try.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Maybe you could try to cover it with some RTV or some JB Weld. It doesn't look like there's much pressure behind the leak.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86