stole it

93f250idi

strokin
Reaction score
google "dana 60 front axle" and then "twin traction beam" and then compare them to your truck. the d60 is a solid axle and the ttb is a twin traction beam. or post a pic of your front suspension here and let us tell you.

alienturtle

Human
Reaction score
if it looks like this is a dana 60 straight axle

You must be registered for see images attach

if it looks like this with pivots in the center its a dana 50 ttb

You must be registered for see images attach

david85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Independant suspension was a selling point that you see in ford commercials from the era. To this day, GM puts A arm suspension in its 4x4 1 ton trucks. It might have been a cost saving measure too, but not sure how much cheaper the D50 would have really been compared to the 60.

If you look at where trucks were headed at the late 70s, you can see a consistent drop in power and torque across the board, so maybe they figured it just wasn't needed anymore. That could apply more to the reasoning behind the Dana44 that found its way into some F250s. Although from what I hear, the D50 setup is fairly tough, just not as good as a60. The stance of the truck is also lower for more suspension travel, so from a fuel economy and ride comfort standpoint, it did make some sense.

I've resigned myself to either getting a Dana44 TTB setup with 3.07 gears (would strictly be used for snow). Or throwing in the towel and putting a Dana60 under the front of the truck, essentially throwing away its hypermiling capabilities. Or just leave it as is and live with the fact that it will never do well in the snow (<--most likely outcome LOL).

Cucamongan

Huh?
Reaction score
that is the best part of living around framers that dont care wht they got.
thank u

I've been thinking about that. I live in SoCal, where there are a bunch of desert rats and city dwellers that think their junk is worth the same price as silver!

I need to find some farmers then!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent

Members online

No members online now.