stock 01 PDS Idle smoke on WMO

petie6464

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some firsthand experience. As the title reads I can't seem to get the smoke down on WMO/RUG 80/20. Hear a lot of guys running this blend. My problem is it runs fine for a tank or two and them it starts smoking heavy @ idle and running rough. I figure Coke/Carbon, crud on the injectors? I have been blending filtering for a long time (WVO)so I'm pretty confident that I have clean product. I settle, filter to 5 nominal, spin and pump through 2mic absolute. Any words of wisdom?

Last edited:

wmoguy

Reaction score
How'd you get 20% RUG & 85% WMO to work out? Seems you are 5% over 100% by my math.

When it runs well on a tank or two as you said, then it runs bad again, is this all from the same oil batch? (i.e ALL this fuel was made at the same time?)

petie6464

Reaction score
Thats not it. I worked my way up to 20% from 10. @ 10 it was smoking like crazy before the first tank was gone. I run much more RUG with WVO and have for about three years now and she runs great on that. I was hoping to go to WMO (WVO getting harder to get) and less RUG but I think it needs to go the other way a lot just like my WVO blend. What ratios are you guys using with WMO in the PSD?s and keeping the smoke in check?

petie6464

Reaction score
How'd you get 20% RUG & 85% WMO to work out? Seems you are 5% over 100% by my math.

When it runs well on a tank or two as you said, then it runs bad again, is this all from the same oil batch? (i.e ALL this fuel was made at the same time?)

Lol fixed it. Yes same batch and I have tried it now three times after getting it cleaned out with a tankish of Diesel (truck not smoking) and tried again same problem. I run my Generator on the 80/20 its fine, I know a completely different motor. My question is anyone have any long term use success with 80/20 in a PSD of whatever ratio?

WilltheThrill

Full Access Member
Reaction score
could the combo of WOM/RUG be reacting with old WVO? I have seen many online instances of a "sluge" that is created from the WVO/WMO mixing...

petie6464

Reaction score
Not really, I ran over a tank of diesel through it before making the change to WMO.

petie6464

Reaction score
Yeah like I said I ran a tank of diesel through it before switching from WVO to WMO. After trying it three times I'm sure there was no more WVO in the system and when I swiched the first time it was bone dry anyway.

Anyone actually used WMO for any period of time in a PSD? If So what blend?

crazytwo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm talking out of my butt here but what if you replaced some RUG with diesel. Maybe something like 70wmo/20diesel/10RUG. I have not done this but I am getting ready to in a 2000 PS once I have my filtration setup.

hdkarmy

Reaction score
I have the same problem in my 2001 duramax but it takes two tanks of straight diesel to clear it out. After running three to four tanks of mix. I run a 65% diesel 35% wmo. I can run four or five tanks in my 99 dodge before it happens at a much lower amount. It takes about two tanks to clear it out. Why does this happen?

petie6464

Reaction score
I have the same problem in my 2001 duramax but it takes two tanks of straight diesel to clear it out. After running three to four tanks of mix. I run a 65% diesel 35% wmo. I can run four or five tanks in my 99 dodge before it happens at a much lower amount. It takes about two tanks to clear it out. Why does this happen?

I think the reason is simple the answer is not. The smoke comes from coked-up injectors. I have taken them out and seen it for my own two eyes on both my 01 PSD and my 12 valve Cummins. The coke builds up on the injectors, bowls etc; it blocks, partially blocks and or completely blocks or changes the spray pattern causing incorrect combustion and thus smoke. Exactly why this happens. . I have guesses but that’s about it. There are all kinds of backyard scientists on forums that will tell you why; lol. It just cracks me up that you will find all kinds of guys that will tell you they run 90% 50% whatever WMO and it does not smoke blah blah but never ever seen it firsthand. The best statement of all: "My truck runs much quieter on WMO” Of course it dose dummy because all the fuel/oil is not combusting thus the engines quieter!

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i am running 80WMO and 20RUG right now and my engine does not smoke past the first couple of minuts past start up. unless you stop by i cannot "prove" this to you over the internet, this is on my turdo IDI so it is not a powerstroke. i have also not turned up my no turbo pump fuel screw at all so i am running "lean" so to speak.

now that being said, i am trying to set up a water injection system for my truck. i think running motor oil can cause build up in the cylinders especially if it is run thick in a cold engine. if the engine is nice and hot it should burn WMO well. i have not had problems with build up before but was not running as thick a mix regularly before. filtering the oil well and running the oil in a hot engine (preheating the fuel is even better) should cut down this build up. that is not always the best in the real world, hence why i am looking to do water injection. it will keep my EGT's down on my pulls, slight increase in power and most importantly for me should steam clean my cylinders right out on a regular basis.

i believe part of this build up besides contaminants is WMO has a much higher BTU content compaired to diesel. our engines cannot extract all of this energy and some is left unburnt as it burns longer than our combustion cycle leaving behind some crud that can build up. just my opinion

diezelcrazee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I don’t have first hand experience, I hope to before long as I’m building my centrifuge setup now. And, not trying to be a “backyard scientist” lol, but I have done some reading on this PSD/WMO smoking problem. On the dieselstop forum there are some posts and info from guys who are running a DP Tuner, and supposedly DP has come up with a tune for PSD/WMO (maybe you know about this already) Anyway, I also read somewhere, don’t remember if it was on ds forum or not, that because of oil not having as high of an ignition point, ignition temp or whatever you call it as diesel (see I said I ain’t a backyard scientist :D ), that it needs more timing advance for it to burn like it should. I don’t know about all this, kinda made sense to me. I also read about one IDI driver who said that his truck didn’t have the same “cackle” on WMO that it did on diesel until he advanced his timing. What you said about quiet running may have to do with a need for more advance, which hopefully would give more complete combustion….

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
if you are asking me i have been running it the past 6 years and 30-40k miles or so