still having cooling issues

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I have been battling overheating issues for a while. I swapped fan clutches with the '85 and it works. I Put a stant t stat in and that didn't work. I pulled the radiator and had it tested and it was plugged, so I bought a new custom 4 row new stat from international, new coolant and distilled water and flushed the system yesterday. Today while driving to church on a 60 deg morning my temps were 225 going and 215 coming home.

What's left to check or swap? I'll go out and make sure that my coolant level didn't drop from an air bubble in the system.

Maybe my gauge sending unit is bad? Maybe it's time to quit the f--ing truck and buy something else?

Darrin Tosh

IDI Hound
Reaction score
Bummer, It is one thing to have cooling issues when you are loaded with the AC on but just driving to church on a 60 deg day empty. Something aint right.

Check for air pockets like you said but other than that I am stumped.

Did you have cooling issues before the twins?

suv7734

Reaction score
If you just serviced the system yesterday I'll bet the coolant level has dropped due to an air pocket. One trick if you're putting in a new stat is to push it open, put an Aspirin tablet (or whatever you have handy just not a gelcap) in between the plunger and frame and slowly let it close (so the tablet won't get crushed). Install the stat as normal and when you fill your cooling system the stat is partially open and allows the coolant to flow throughout. Once the system is full the tablet dissolves and the stat operates as normal.
Bruce

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
If you just serviced the system yesterday I'll bet the coolant level has dropped due to an air pocket. One trick if you're putting in a new stat is to push it open, put an Aspirin tablet (or whatever you have handy just not a gelcap) in between the plunger and frame and slowly let it close (so the tablet won't get crushed). Install the stat as normal and when you fill your cooling system the stat is partially open and allows the coolant to flow throughout. Once the system is full the tablet dissolves and the stat operates as normal.
Bruce

That's a good idea.

argve

Resident Fruitcake
Reaction score
The tstat neck is supposed to have a bypass in it to let air out - was that gummed up or something...

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I went up to my local China express (harbor freight) and bought a laser temp sensor and when the gauge was reading 225, I couldn't find a spot above 190 anywhere, which led me to believe that I may be having gauge issues. Just for fun, I flipped my lights off and on while watching the gauge. Waddyaknow, when I turned my lights on my temps jumped 20 deg and my oil pressure dropped 10.

I guess I'm not selling my truck yet.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well at least you didn't do it any harm with the new parts. Your Moose Pump is on the way, so if you sell it before you get it, send it back. :backoff

LOL

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online