Sterling carrier setup?

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so im in the process of putting a detroit locker into my 10.5"
Just need a quick sanity check..
First time i put it in, tapped the caps a few times, used the stock shims, torqued to 80, i had 25 though backlash. ok, add some to driver side, take equal amount out of passenger side. i tapped the caps on probably 30 times this time, torqued..0 backlash, locked up.

redo it again with the stock shims, tapped the caps on a good 30 times, locked up again when i torqued the caps.

I am assuming the first time i put it in with 25 though backlash i just didnt fully seat the caps yet. Just thought torquing the caps would have seated the races...

I assume i just need to shim it accordingly now, since it is a new carrier and neaw bearings+ races, the stock stuff just wont work and i need to make a custom shim pack per side to get where i need to be yes?

So with stock I am too tight, so i stack shims on passenger side, and take the same amount away from driver side, correct?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you using the old ring and pinion?
thought I saw that this is what youre doing.
im guessing 3.73:1
that is correct, I did the same to mine, I settled with .012 backlash.
altho the bearing kit I bought had a crap load of shims.
need me to send you some? I assume getting them local would be easier

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yes 3.73 yes old ring and pinnion.
I have the shim kit, just got a little weirded out when at first with stock shims i had .025 backlash then after the 3rd time i had 0 with the same shims.

Think i just dindt smack the caps in enough to fully seat the race the first time i used the stock shims to get .025?
Just would have thought torquing the caps would have seated it fully..

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you recall the thickness on the shims?
this will drastically change the backlash.
torqueing the caps should seat the races where they need to be.
unless you didn't have the carrier sammiched in correctly.
I started off about the same, .025 backlash.
then I proceeded to tale .005 out of the left and added it to the right.
I used to remember what .005 netted on the backlash, but that was along time ago.
do small adjustments, and I find it easier to do with the rearend out of the truck,
and gravity holding the carrier down.
but I know youre not going that far lol

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.285 driver, .238 passenger are the stock thicknesses.

I was looking for a thickness/backlash correlation chart but didnt find one. would be nice, once i get some backlash, i could figure the thickness i need real quick!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ah found this rule of thumb: The backlash will generally change about 0.007" for each 0.010" the carrier moves.

Man, i just dont want to be getting into pinion shims....
I know I was stock at .018. Gears look good. If i get back to .018 or close, i shouldnt have to worry about pinion..right..right??

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
start with the stock shims.
verify back lash,
go .005 difference, and then you can have a real world coloration.
pain in the ass I know, but without taking it to a reputable shop this is what ya gotta do.
its not hard, just tedious as you've experienced.
the hardest part is getting the carrier with the correct shims back in the housing.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah found this rule of thumb: The backlash will generally change about 0.007" for each 0.010" the carrier moves.

Man, i just dont want to be getting into pinion shims....
I know I was stock at .018. Gears look good. If i get back to .018 or close, i shouldnt have to worry about pinion..right..right??
this is what the gear paint is for.
it should be good, but I recommend checking it after getting the correct backlash.

IMO .018 is kinda sloppy

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
.018 is sloppy, id expect that with a rear end that has god knows who many miles and original bearings.

I know with the stock shims, I have 0 backlash with new carrier and new bearings.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That chart will show you everything about backlash and placement of both the ring gear and the pinion gear. Follow it closely and don't skimp on anything. Get it right once and you are finished with this. Good Luck Greg!

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not quite understanding that chart at all. what is with/without? Not sue how this would help me with the carrier shims..?

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
here is a better one,
I agree the last was kind of confusing.
but instead of trying to explain what I cant really put into words, ill leave you with this.

You must be registered for see images attach

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
go *** all shimmed up, .012 average backlash, dindt really see much more run out from it past .001. Taking it for a spin today see how it does.
I didnt bother with the gear compound...I know if i see omething that i not optimal im going to pend the next 3 weeks puling the entire rear end out, doing pinion bearings etc etc..shim it, stock feeling preload, good backlash....run it.