Steering/Braking

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
So, something exciting happens when I brake. My truck has a passenger side pull and when I brake, the steering wheel returns to the straight position and it pulls hard to the passenger side. When released, it goes back to being off centered. Normally I wouldn't care but it seems to be slowly getting worse, the pull as well. I can't let go of my steering wheel because it will veer off the road..... What do you all think? Uneven brake pressure application? Bad caliper? Alignment issues? Bad Master Cylinder?

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Could be a Caliper or a Line.
Yours has slider so make a Seized slider pin.
Mine was pulling cause I had warped and cracked rotors and seized calipers so maybe yours is the same. GoodLuck hope it's simple.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
Yeah, I think tomorrow I am gonna give everything a once over..... If I can't find anything then..... Well.... Oh well? I don't think that a warped rotor would cause a pull, wouldnt that cause massive amount of vibration while braking, I had that problem on my F150.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Yeah, I think tomorrow I am gonna give everything a once over..... If I can't find anything then..... Well.... Oh well? I don't think that a warped rotor would cause a pull, wouldnt that cause massive amount of vibration while braking, I had that problem on my F150.

I didn't notice any vibration on mine. Even Bearings could cause a pull

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Brake pads on that side have not released there still riding on the rotor. Could be the hose is collapsed inside, acts like a check valve, the caliper sliders are froze, the caliper pistons are froze, not releasing. If you have to replace the caliper, do both sides. If rotors are grooved badly change them also. Also best to replace the hoses too. break the hose connector at the caliper on that side, if pressure squirts out, the hose is bad. Your MC is probably not bad, it operates both sides.

Waystro

No Class
Reaction score
Brake pads on that side have not released there still riding on the rotor. Could be the hose is collapsed inside, acts like a check valve, the caliper sliders are froze, the caliper pistons are froze, not releasing. If you have to replace the caliper, do both sides. If rotors are grooved badly change them also. Also best to replace the hoses too. break the hose connector at the caliper on that side, if pressure squirts out, the hose is bad. Your MC is probably not bad, it operates both sides.

That's basically what I said.

IH444t

Reaction score
My trucks been acting weird too, my truck will stop normal and then sometime when slam down on breaks fast or apply to much pressure lock up the back drum breaks.

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford calipers are known to have issues with Pistons binding especially when extended out like the pads are about worn out.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
No, I haven't had time to go look through everything, that and the weather has been crappy. I'm hoping for a break in the weather this weekend cause I will have plenty of time to do whatever.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ford calipers are known to have issues with Pistons binding especially when extended out like the pads are about worn out.

YUP, A lot of the calipers have Phenolic pistons instead of the steel ones. The front side wears, then when the pads are all worn out (pad actually falls off the metal backing), the pistons have to travel farther and won't return, then the metal wears the rotor. That can get to be a dangerous situation.

USNENFTS

U.S. Navy Engineman
Reaction score
It actually ending up being dangerously loose tie rod ends, imagine that. I replaced all the steering linkage, got an alignment done, now I drives straight, even when braking. ;Sweet

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well thats great news. Funny how thingwork out and the problems go away. I bet it sure feels good to drive and brake straight once again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JFMac

Members online