steel line from lift pump to filter inlet - fittings?

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i need to modify the inlet of my fuel filter on my 89 f250 7.3. The steel line coming from the lift pump goes to an adapter and then to the filter head, but i need to figure out what kind of fitting is on that steel line that screws into the adapter. It would be a lot easier if i knew before taking it apart. I am also wondering if that is some kind of flare fitting so if i need to shorten that steel line i could use a basic flare tool and use that nut on the end of it. Also does anyone know if that steel line is 3/8"?

reason i ask is because i want to run hydraulic hose from that steel line to a 3 way solenoid valve for my wvo conversion. The normally-open outlet port for the valve will run back into the fitler head for diesel and the normally closed one will run through a flat plate heat exchanger mounted near the heater core (where the bottle jack used to be) so when i am running veggie i will hit a switch on the dash and the fuel will be directed through that heat exchanger, then to the filter. All fuel lines for this configuration will be 3/8" hydraulic hose with JIC fittings and whatever adapters i need to make it work, that way i don't have to worry about leaks.

thanks,
paul

thanks,
paul

suv7734

Reaction score
That's a 'special' connection and it is the seal is accomplished by a piece called an "olive". They are available from most any injection shop. The idea is that a 'hard' connection here will eventually break due to the vibration of the diesel engine. It's too late to look tonight and I can't remember what the threads are in the filter head but it would probably be better to look at replacing the elbow if you're using flexible line. Again I need to look to be sure. This is what the fitting looks like inside.

Attachments

• olive.jpg
    olive.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 5

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you mean that olive at the end of the steel line can slide right off and be replaced? all i want to do is cut off the curved part of the steel line. I wonder if i can do that and re-use the olive?
thanks,
paul

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why dont you run a 3/8 inverted flare hose from the pump to your valve and eliminate the steel line altogether , then if you go back stock you have all the right stuff

They make a inv flare hose end for the hyd hose.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why dont you run a 3/8 inverted flare hose from the pump to your valve and eliminate the steel line altogether , then if you go back stock you have all the right stuff

that's what i wanted to do all along! but i did not know what kind of threads went into the lift pump. what is the difference between regular flare fittings and inverted flare fittings?
thanks,
paul

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is another simpler possibility for your wvo conversion. Leave the lines from the lift pump to the fuel filter stock. You can put a valve, filter, heat etc. on the tank side of the lift pump. Only one disadvantage that I consider very minor is that wvo then goes through the diesel filter (after already passing through the wvo filter). This makes for a longer purge time.

JwS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here is a pdf of what I think are the correct fittings, I have ordered "olives" from here and they seem correct. go to www.mcmaster.com and you can order with credit card. they will deliver in a day or 2 usually, unless you live in the boonies.
JwS

Attachments

• 0151[1].pdf
    118.6 KB · Views: 13

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's what i wanted to do all along! but i did not know what kind of threads went into the lift pump. what is the difference between regular flare fittings and inverted flare fittings?
thanks,
paul

inverted flare is like brake lines have, with a male nut instead of a female nut.
The flare angle is 45 degrees like SAE fittings, AN and JIC is 37 degree.

GREASE FIRE

Full Access Member
Reaction score

i called a hydraulic shop around here that has all kinds of fittings and they did not know exactly what i was talking about when i asked for inverted flare fittings. They said if i brought one in they could probably match it up. Is it possible that this type of fitting might go by another name? i was kind of surprised that they were not familiar with it - hopefully i can make something work.
thanks,
paul

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WHat brand do they have and I can give you a part number. It is used on power steering lines also. You have to remember that most hydraulic shops have no idea what automotive stuff is.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger