Steel Brake Lines

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Driving my truck today, went to stop and the pedal goes to the floor! :mad: Luckily, it stopped and no harm was done to anybody or anything. Seems that the steel line going to the rear rotted through right where the mid fuel tank is(and it is full).
Does Ford still have them, or will I have to make up my own? I will probably replace all the steel lines why I have the system open. What size are the lines?

Just when you think you are ahead... :eek:

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I just finished doing that on my truck... drained and dropped the tank, did all the lines, all the way around, including the solid ones on the axel. I just got lengths from the parts shop, and put a few joints in the middle to make it manageable.

flatlander

plays dirty when losing
Reaction score
I found a place online that had entire sets for our trucks. I think it's onlinetube.com. They also have sets in stainless.

If that doesn't work, look up my previous posts at the diesel stop. I know I posted about them there.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
Ken,
I had the same thing happen on both my trucks. I just did all the steel lines in both trucks within the past year. I just got a bunch of miscell. lengths and couplings at Westminster Auto (Tuc Rd.). Get extra and return what you don't use. Bend them yourself (it dosn't have to be artwork). Just make sure you have no chaffing. I don't see why you have to remove fuel tanks. If you havn't done the rubbers up front, it soon will be time (you might want to consider this too).
John

Pacific

Gravel Rat
Reaction score
That is a very common place for them to-go mine blew in the same area not very nice especially when I was on my famillies property on a steep driveway with a load of trash on the truck.

What I ended up doing was running a new line from the front block under the cab right to the rear rubber hose. What I used was the premade lines you get from the parts store that you join together. Its pretty much all I use but you can make your own continous line with brake tubing if you have a double flaring tool and you buy the proper fittings.

Anyway you slice it you will have a PITA to deal with, make sure you soak the fittings that do need to come apart with some weasel **** and flare nut wrenches plus the last resort vise grips. A propane torch does help to heat up the area around the fitting and it breaks free you will be surprise it does work it surprised me.

Make sure you have lots of brake fluid on hand it will take abit for the air to bleed out and you get raw fluid.

A mechanic showed me a way of bending the tubing using two box end wrenches its hard to explain but it worked good I bent the tight radius corners I needed without kinking.

Mikes91

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flatlander said:
I found a place online that had entire sets for our trucks. I think it's onlinetube.com. They also have sets in stainless.

If that doesn't work, look up my previous posts at the diesel stop. I know I posted about them there.

Didn't find that one. www.classictube.com worked for me... although I'm not sure of the completeness of their lines for these trucks...

Last edited:

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks to all, I do have a old Snap-on double flaring tool that was my father's, but will need to get a bender, every job need a new tool right? ;Sweet I also have a set of tubing wrenches (standard, not metric)

The front brake hoses have been replaced, but will do the one on the rear axle. I will start soaking the fittings and gathering a parts list in the morning.

What size are the lines?

John, Where is Westminster Auto?

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just did a line on my Bronco. If you go to the Ford dealer, they will hand you a streight piece of tubing and you still have to bend it yourself, so this is the correct way to repair it. You'd be doing it the same way Ford mechanics were taught.

John Haggerty

Birth Certificate
Reaction score
John, Where is Westminster Auto?[/QUOTE]

Basically downtown off Rt. 27, Tuc Rd (right near used oil recycle place). Good inventory of parts. Better brands than Advance, Autozone, etc...

kennyd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DONE!

Well, between Friday night and Saturday morning (about 7 hours total), I replaced EVERY steel line on the truck, about 33 feet of it! Also replaced the rear brake hose. Everything went smoothly. Ford used some goofy sized nuts in some places, so I just reused the old ones since they were in good shape.

Thanks to those who replied with tips...

Kenny

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was a smart move Kenny. I should do the same, but it will be a lot harder on my truck! :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online

No members online now.