stearing box leaking

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
okay my steering box has developed a leak at the bottom where the pitman arm goes. how do i remove the gear box to replace the seal and how hard is it to repalce the seal. i really need the truck and do really have the money right know to replace the whole box or i would. :mad:

Double-S-Diesel

parts seller
Reaction score
the box has to be removed , tbe pitman arm pulled, and the box dissasembled partially to remove seal.
I have done quite a few , but IMHO if there is a lot of miles on the box, or any play, it is better to just replace it.

devildog88

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so is it a hard job? i would love to just replace the box but i can afford it this week and i need the truck tommorrow so i bought the $8 seal kit. i most likley will repalce the whole thing soon but it aint in the card this week

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Use a seal puller and watch the bearings those aren't sold separately. The seal part is like Nick said take it apart put new seal and put it back together. The box is a bit heavy but one person can manage just fine, You could spend some time with the upper steering hose to get it back on place it helps a lot if Your truck is lifted. If there is many miles You can use some lucas steering fluid, it works wonders on My stuff.

metrojd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bottom Seal

Every time I did a bottom seal I did them in the truck.
Drop the pitman arm down.
Remove the snap ring and put a drain pan under the box.
Start the truck up and fill the pump, turn the wheel all the way to one side and hold it.
The seal will come out due to the pressure build up.
The re install the seal in order as per the kit.
Just make sure you get all the seal out and put back per picture in the kit.
Also make sure the snap ring is seated.
Good Luck
John

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin