Starting Troubles

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the wiring harness connector between the engine and chassis. The two large yellow wires in that plug carry battery current to the gp controller. The connector is inadequate for the current and over time will degrade or melt. Be careful as those wires will be 12V+ all the time if you have a good connection. Check the condition of the connector and if it has deteriorated, you can cut the wires out and splice them outside the connector or put a separate plug on them.
http://www.oilburners.net/forums/sh...Battery-connector&highlight=melted+gp+harness

Big red wire on 93 4 gua iirc...

riotwarrior

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
BERU plugs only

I just removed 8 plugs customer ride yesterday...4 Nottolites and 4 Beru...8 new beru...1 glow cycle this am...fires runs no issue what so ever...

If dig here there are wiring diagrams posted.

Get unit to stock state...gp should work well.

Yer engine isnt likely taost since u say starts OK when warmed up.

NEVER ...EVER USE EITHER .....WITH A LIVE ..POSSIBLY DISFUNCTIONING GP SYSTEM.

REMOVE GP WIRES OR MAIN POWER LEAD TO GP CONTROLLER THEN USE EITHER...

OR

BOOM BANG

Just saying either n gp dont work well together...k

Sounds like decent truck....but honestly this thread is useless without pics

Also please include your info in sig if not already done.

JM7.3CW

pacman45

Reaction score
Ok so installed the new glow plugs. The zd-9 motorcraft beru, but still no clicking anymore from the relay. This is a new relay and controller, could it have gotten shorted out from the other glow plugs? I have power on the double yellow wire. Also I noticed yesterday when I had it running that the fuel filter light was on but flickering on and off. Probably two seperate issues and I think its best to focus on one at a time. Right now I am trying to get power to the glow plugs with turning the key on. Even with the new controller the other day I never saw a wait to start light. I don't even see it when i just turn the key on to cycle so it may be a bulb issue unless there is something going on in the circuit. Is there a way to bypass the controller entirely and just use the relay with my own switch? what else will the controller regulate?

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the resistance on all the wires going to the glow plugs. GPs should have a resistance of about 8 ohms or less. The wire should be close to 0. From the base of the glow plug to the negative battery terminal should be close to 0.

As for the fuel filter light, check the hose going from the hard line that runs along the chassis to the mechanical lift pump. If it is soft, it is probably collapsing. Replace it.

Hope this helps.

pacman45

Reaction score
ok got all the glow plugs to have power and the wait light comes on. but still no start. now i am looking at maybe having to bleed well since i did change filters and injectors but it was idling for a long time like 25 min. I thought that would of taken care of that. Well, at least one step closer. I guess the worst case scenario will be low compression right? When I boughth the truck the guy gave me a complete engine with new pistons in the box along with heads from the machine shop and a block all ready to be put back together? Really didnt want to do that though since this runs good when its running. Id rather sell then do all that work

pacman45

Reaction score
Thanks for all the help so far, didn't know that much before but there is a lot to know about these trucks.

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Idling will not purge the air from your fuel lines. Drive and drive like you stole it. Get on that dude!

Dave :Thumbs Up

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger