Starting my truck for the first time , need help .

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought a '90 f250 last year.. It had a blown head gasket so I towed it home and tore into it . The project had some delays but I am finally close to starting it . It is not 100% put back together , I just need to start it with the basics to see if it is going to run . I have the fuel line ran into a jug full of diesel , no radiator hooked up , trans cooler lines are just looped , front core support is not on , etc .. Now to my questions :

If I start it with no fluid in the trans (e4od ) the pump will burn up , correct ?
The t-case is not installed , will trans fluid pour out of the rear ?
Are there any important grounds that bolt to the core support that need to be grounded for it to fire?

I'm sure I already know the answers but I would really appreciate any help / advice so I don't make a costly mistake.

Thanks guys !

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If there is no fluid, starting the engine will not hurt it. Keeping the engine running for more than a few seconds will.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will just put a new filter in, new gasket and fill it with fluid now then . Will it pour out of the rear with no t-case though? I see a paper gasket on the t-case where it meets the trans adapter .. But I'm not sure if trans fluid is actually flowing in that area ... ?

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would rather just install the t-case if need be . Pulling the trans would be a step back .. :)

Knuckledragger

blowing chunks and grabbing porcelain
Reaction score
If you are worried about having to pull the engine, a start will tell you enough. If it runs, continue to assemble. If it doesn't start or makes unusual noises (for these engines they will be VERY unusual and loud), disassemble.

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was hoping to run it long enough to check for leaks .

I was thinking the same thing regarding it just splashing . I will fill it with fluid and just keep an eye on it I guess . Thanks guys !

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will just put a new filter in, new gasket and fill it with fluid now then . Will it pour out of the rear with no t-case though? I see a paper gasket on the t-case where it meets the trans adapter .. But I'm not sure if trans fluid is actually flowing in that area ... ?
it will pour without the tcase installed.
i know this from moving filled transmissions.:eek:-cuss-cuss-cuss
but......if you aren't putting it in gear, stuff a towel in it's ass and fire up the motor. as long as you're on level ground you're GTG. towel is going to be history though.

sootman73

Reaction score
but......if you aren't putting it in gear, stuff a towel in it's ass and fire up the motor. as long as you're on level ground you're GTG. towel is going to be history though.

X2 on moving full transmissions! what a helluva mess! :mad:

homelessduck

Full Access Member
Reaction score

The front is slightly lower than the rear if anything , so that should help too . I just need to hook the linkage back up to make sure its in park :)

Thanks !

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cv axle