starter problem on my new diesel

frumundacheeze

Reaction score
starter and ip problem on my new diesel

so the truck is a 91 f250, 7.3 idi, yesterday when ever i tried to start it it just clicks, but if i go underneath with a screw driver and cross the posts on the starter it cranks over, so i thought maybe the solenoid, so i replaced it with a new one and no changes.

any idea what else to look at? any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

Last edited:

frumundacheeze

Reaction score
also having a ip heat soak problem i believe, starts fine cold, i drive it around and shut it off and it will start right back up but if i let it sit for a bit it doesnt want to start back up unless i give it a shot of starter fluid, ip right? whats the best place to get one on a budget?

frumundacheeze

Reaction score
well, i think i narrowed it down to the solenoid on the starter.

any suggestions on the second question??

G. Mann

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds more like the return lines are leaking down on shutdown. That gives you a dry start attempt with no fuel at the IP, or not enough to make good spray at the injectors. A shot of ether gets it going long enough to "pump up" the fuel supply to the IP and injectors.

Suggest you take a close look at the condition of the return lines and if they are hard or cracked or it's been some time since they are replaced, get a new kit [Ebay, 25$ or so]. Not bad to replace, and will save burning up a starter and leaving you walking home soon.

On all my IDI trucks I installed a "fuel boost pump" [cheap low pressure fuel pump from autozone] and I plumb them into the fuel supply line to the IP with a momentary "on" switch. On start sequence I run the pump for 10/20 seconds before cranking or while the glo plugs are heating. Since using the little boost pumps starts are always clean and quick.

Diesels only need 3 things delivered at the right time to run, Fuel, air, and compression. If it ain't working, then it's one of the 3.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
for a pump rebuild unless you know a good shop to do it locally with a reputation i would talk to Agnem (Mel) on this board. he will give a quality rebuild, people have bought from other bargain priced sellers and results are spotty. sometimes thing are good other times not and it is not always easy to get a warrenty to cover when it dousent work.

frumundacheeze

Reaction score
Sounds more like the return lines are leaking down on shutdown. That gives you a dry start attempt with no fuel at the IP, or not enough to make good spray at the injectors. A shot of ether gets it going long enough to "pump up" the fuel supply to the IP and injectors.

Suggest you take a close look at the condition of the return lines and if they are hard or cracked or it's been some time since they are replaced, get a new kit [Ebay, 25$ or so]. Not bad to replace, and will save burning up a starter and leaving you walking home soon.

On all my IDI trucks I installed a "fuel boost pump" [cheap low pressure fuel pump from autozone] and I plumb them into the fuel supply line to the IP with a momentary "on" switch. On start sequence I run the pump for 10/20 seconds before cranking or while the glo plugs are heating. Since using the little boost pumps starts are always clean and quick.

Diesels only need 3 things delivered at the right time to run, Fuel, air, and compression. If it ain't working, then it's one of the 3.

thanks for the info man, one question though in that situation wouldnt i also have a hard start when cold? or no?

subway

Reaction score
thanks for the info man, one question though in that situation wouldnt i also have a hard start when cold? or no?

yes most likely, they are a maintenence item but would cause hard starting hot or cold. if it is hot and dousent want to start you can try dumping a cool bottle of water on the injection pump. if it takes off after that you are due for a new pump.

Redneck

Canadian
Reaction score

this pump, just a 12V 7-10psi kinda deal??

yes most likely, they are a maintenence item but would cause hard starting hot or cold. if it is hot and dousent want to start you can try dumping a cool bottle of water on the injection pump. if it takes off after that you are due for a new pump.

how does that work? what does the bottle of water do??

Full Monte

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You didn't say anything about cranking speed. Does it turn over with gusto? If not, you may have a battery, wiring or connection problem.

sassyrel

Reaction score
this pump, just a 12V 7-10psi kinda deal??

how does that work? what does the bottle of water do??

ill add to his statement---DONT use cool water,use tepid,meaning a bit off cool-----and when you do this,pour it over the pump back part,wait 1 minute,then try to start. any sooner,and you may break the pump shaft---been there!!!!! what it does,is to "shrink" the ring around the pump vanes,and tighten the clearance,so it will pump pressure high again. when the pump is hot,the clearances open up,dropping the pressure--and the cure is a rebuilt, or good used pump--

flareside_thun

Reviving The General Tao
Reaction score
I'm also going to add to this thread, it's better to use gas on a rag to start it than ether......ether is hell on all kinds of things.

EDIT: Forgot....Pensacola diesel sells the injector install kits for 19 bucks....

Last edited:

subway

Reaction score
You didn't say anything about cranking speed. Does it turn over with gusto? If not, you may have a battery, wiring or connection problem.

this is another big one, these engines have to spin over fast, just having it crank over is not enough. i just learned this the hard way last weekend and now with my new batteries it is so much better. you should not be able to count the revolutions when it is cranking. you can also get a feel for it by watching the battery voltage with a meter while you crank.

if the voltage drops you got a battery/connection problem. if they hold then look elseware for a starter/ground/connection problem.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen these engines look like they should be turning fast enough, but weren't. use a conductive paste on every connection from batt term to starter. I haven't done it yet but it might be a good idea to put it on every ground connection as well. I got mine from an electrical supply company for about $17 and on the label it says it can be used as an anti seize also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online