starter needed, which type?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Three choices available:
- Mitsubishi offset gearing
- Mitsubishi planetary gearing
- Nippon-Denso with whole motor offset

Truck has the offset-gear Mitsu now, but it's very dead (all of sudden too w/o any warnings at all, one day it worked the next day it just clicks and refuses to spin altogether). Both Mitsu types are 3.6 kW rated, the Denso is 2.5 kW usually. Lots of folks here rave about how fast their engines crank with the Densos, but that was never a problem for our offset-gears Mitsu either (if batts were good she'd spin pretty quick), and IIRC there were some durability concerns about them raised at some point (don't recall by who and what exactly they were). No time to wait for delivery from BD Electrical, gotta be something locally-quick with lifetime warranty. So in your opinion, which of the three types listed above would be best?

Thanks!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm of the older full nosecone Mitsu crowd. they can take a voltage drop and amp spike without a thermonuclear meltdown on the armature. ND's are particularly sensitive to voltage drops and will turn into a puddle of copper faster than a Mitsu will.
problem is these days is finding a good rebuilt mitsu.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
btw....if your starter wasn't dragging a few days before, you might be able to get away with just changing out the solenoid.

Black dawg

Reaction score
It has been awhile since I did the test, but I took a new 3.6kw offset mitsu, and new nippondenso 2.5kw and compared them back to back. cranking speed and amp draw were nearly identical. I left the denso on my truck, as it cured the intermittent grind that it seems most of these trucks have.

There is a 4kw denso available for the idi now, not sure on quality though.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Towcat, that's exactly what the durability concern with the NDs was, I remember now. Yes, somewhat faster cranking speed is not worth the chance of a meltdown when batteries go low, at least in my book. And notice I said "when", and not "if", it's pretty much 110% guaranteed that they will flatline at some point or another, only takes leaving one light switch on and walking away for a few days...

No the starter was not dragging at all, I don't think so - drove it last night actually and it had no problems at all, it was today when we went to move it when we found out it was DOA. So I guess tomorrow we'll split the starter and see what's going on inside - it's already out and ready to be turned in as a core, so no big deal if we damage it in the process. Would be nice if just a solenoid fixes it but I kinda doubt that, starter is probably around 10 years old at this point, and while the in lats few it was only used like once a week if that, there's probably still quite a bit of wear and tear in it... But, like I said, worth a shot taking it apart anyways, the $100 difference in cost will buy quite a bit of fuel for the beast :D

Black Dawg, good to know of thr cranking speed. The lower draw of the NDs is appealing in that you can get more crank time out of the batteries, but ours are new as is and we're adding a 3rd one soon so the risk of low-voltage damage is not worth the benefit of lower draw. The 4kW starter Typ4 says he's had pretty good luck with them, but those are online only deal, we wanna be up and running tomorrow - got places to be and things to do ya know, vacation only comes in so many times a year :D

tbrumm

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have db electric starters and have had good luck. Next one I get will be the 4KW that typ4 discusses.

jim_22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an old caddie, the starter would occasionally freeze but if you tapped it with a hammer (thus jarring the brushes) it would take on another life.

Bashby

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know you can't get them any more, but I'd take a factory Delco unit over all those others. Mine is 32 years old and still cranking after 120,000 miles.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4kw from napa
# NAE 17818

lester number which any AP should be able to cross
190-838

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had an old caddie, the starter would occasionally freeze but if you tapped it with a hammer (thus jarring the brushes) it would take on another life.
First thing we tried! No go. Would rather have it fixed properly anyways, cause who knows where we'll be when it quits again, this time for good.

4kw from napa
# NAE 17818

lester number which any AP should be able to cross
190-838
Napa's own website does not find any of those numbers, but Google does! So how does this starter hold up to low-battery conditions, does it tend to damage itself like Towcat's experience has been with the other Nippon-Denso starters?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK Russ, how does your local NAPA parts person find those starters in their system? I just talked to the nearest NAPA store, and the NAE 17818 number doesn't come up as nothing for them. Which is what happens if I go to napaonline.com and put it in there. But if I google NAE 17818 the first link that shows up is the correct NAPA page for the starter. But that works for me, not the NAPA people. So how do they find it so they can at least price-check the thing, let alone order one possibly? Would it be in their brick-sized paper catalogs maybe?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online