starter needed, which type?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, we got the 4kW Nippon-Denso style from DB Electrical, just under $160 and free shipping. The old Mitsu is getting a new solenoid/contactor as per Towcat's suggestion and is being designated a spare. We could have just done that actually, and likely it would have been fine, but then if for whatever reason it quit again it could very well do so in a place where obtaining a replacement on a short notice proves either impossible or quite costly (think a state forest while camping way off the beaten path). This way we have both something that should hopefully give us years of trouble-free service, and a backup should the new starter decide to pull a fast one on us.

Edit: something I forgot to mention, if anyone else buys one of those starters before you install it make sure all the bolts and screws are tight. Ours had the motor twisted slightly (the long bolts weren't quite parallel), the three screws holding the cover on the back of the contactor were somewhat tight but not quite what I'd consider proper for a diesel application with all the vibrations, and the three big screws that hold the gear box to the contactor housing were able to be turned in another 1/4 turn. Also, this starter has the motor hanging quite low, not below the oil pan bottom but still lower than the factory ones - should not be an issue for anyone, as even in 2wd setup the passenger-side I-beam is protecting the starter motor from direct impacts from road debris, but I figured I'd mention it anyways.

Last edited:

Greg5OH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can you post a pic of it installed? Or perhapos do you know the total lenfth of it vs the oem mitsu?

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can get you some measurements tomorrow, had enough crawling under vehicles for the day already. But it's not much shorter than the Mitsu, you're looking at maybe an inch difference - the exact same extensions combo that was used to take the Mitsu out was used to install the ND, the top bolt is not really any easier to get to. But I never found it to be a royal pain to begin with, get the socket and extensions length just right and a long-handle ratchet will slide right in between the Mitus and the crossmember no problem.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online