Starter issues, rebuild kits?

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score
The starter in my *ack* 460 is DOA and I'd like to make it work, took it apart and the brushes were wasted, are they supposed to touch the magnet in the middle? My first starter dissasembly and all, I wasn't sure. Has anyone had luck finding starter rebuild kits? The $17 in my bank account won't buy a new starter and my credit card is only on the way -cuss

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Check for rebuild kits on ebay I rebuild about 5 now including the one on My truck and they still work perfect after more than 1 year.

wwwabbit

Mmmmm Diesel
Reaction score
I just went to the local auto electronic place here and got new bearings, brush holder and new brushes for about $30 cdn.
We spun the armature on the lathe to clean it up and it's looking sharp now. Make sure to clean out all the little grooves well.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
napa ,what year is your truck and is it stick or auto. I may have one left over from my 460, if you want I can ship it to you. You will have to change the front housing, this one is broken but the starter is new. Its the pmgr with the little solenoid on top'

f-two-fiddy

Reaction score
the ONLY problem with rebuilding them yourself is welding the 2 brushes that attach to the stator. The rest is easy piesy japaniesy

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
not much to them as long as the armatures are ok. like stated above just put some new bearings and brushes in. i would clean up the area where the brushes are to, make sure there arent any shavings left in the crackes either that could short between the connections there.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the rebuild steps the same for a 460 and 6.9 starter, or are they made too differently to make this thread of value here?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are the rebuild steps the same for a 460 and 6.9 starter, or are they made too differently to make this thread of value here?
imho, they are completely different animals. The basic functions are the same, but you have to look at alot more areas on the diesel starter to make sure you aren't wasting your time.

NapaBavarian

Dually driver 6.9
Reaction score

Can I rebuild the 460 into a 6.9 diesel arround the starter or will I need to start with a new starter? :eek: On a side note, it does get 15mpg down hill :puke:

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

the only similarity is they are both electric motors, with a gear or two:rotflmao

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bradz

Members online