Starter going out?

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
Truck in my sig, I have a no start condition. I totally killed my batteries a while back, and when jumping I could get it to turn over but not very fast for very long. No extended cranking, no slow cranking. I had a full fuel filter and cracked the injectors to make sure fuel got to them. I really expected it to fire after glowing and I was sure fuel was getting to the cylinders. I ended up taking out and charging the batteries full, cleaning the terminals and cables. I replaced the fuel filter and filled with ATF/diesel kleen. Batteries reinstalled, but all I can get is the solenoid click. Over and over. I didn't have much time, but I banged on the starter. Is the starter dead? I intend to remove the starter and clean it up along with the connections.

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you cooked the starter. You can try to fix it once it comes out, but either way you're gunna have to pull it.

Otherwise you could use a jumper wire to momentarily connect it straight to the 12v post on your battery if you suspect a bad connection somewhere.

sassyrel

Reaction score
the solenoid,,on top of the starter,,are somewhat notorious for dying. if you have a rebuild shop near you,,take it there,,they will check it out,,you may only need the solenoid................that being said,,take those batts out,,and have them load checked,,,it sounds like they may be bad,,or only one of them,,one bad one,,will kill the good one..batt check is the easiest

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
The batteries are only about a year old. I'm thinking there is a wiring problem somewhere. There's a ton of wires attatched to the bottom post on the firewall solenoid. Sometimes it wouldn't turn over unless I banged on the solenoid and took off and reattatched the top push on connector. The heavy duty hot wire going to the firewall solenoid was very hot to the touch. Does this info lead lead to any other answers?

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Any time a wire or connecter is hot usually means a bad connection. The heat is caused by more amps trying to push thru the bad connection. Also if you have to knock on the fender mounted solenoid thats a place I would start looking at replaceing too. Hitting the electrical component shocks the electrical connection and generally makes a better connection. These are signs something is going bad and needs to be replaced.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
I almost let the magic smoke out of the starter today. It turns over when jumping the fender mounted solenoid. Does this mean the solenoid is bad?

The starter was smoking pretty bad when turning the motor over, but it looks like there was a lot of oil covering the starter solenoid from the valve cover. I'm fairly certain most of the smoke was from the oil. :D The dirty connection at the starter I'm sure was at least partly to blame, but I didn't have the right size socket on hand to disconnect and clean it.

boosted power

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a pretty easy fix, either a bad solenoid or a bad connection. They're so cheap I would probably just toss a new solenoid in there. But it might be prudent to first check that it is getting power from the ignition to the solenoid when you turn the key. It could also have a bad ground.

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
Either the starter is smoking itself - or the starter got hot enough to burn off oil on top of it. Neither one is a good outcome for the starter. Agreed with changing both. Try the fender solenoid first since it is easiest and the cheap ones go bad quick, but plan for a starter too.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
The starter being nearly smoked (pardon the pun) is most likely spot on. Here's a thought though, is it possible there is a short (either in the ignition or other) in the wiring on the bottom post of the solenoid sucking so much juice that the starter can't turn over?

The smoke was definitley coming from the starter mounted solenoid. Any thoughts on just replacing the solenoid?

bghnkinf350

Reaction score
People have said that changing the solenoid helps, but the starter is still older and the starter motor can fail shortly thereafter. If you can swing it, it might be worth doing the whole starter.

Jbevs

IDI Newb
Reaction score
So thanks to bghnkinf350 I was able to bench test my starter, and it passed. I cleaned up all terminals on the solenoid (the one under the boot was nasty) and she cranks like there's no tomorrow. :D I'm about to toss a stockish exhaust on it to pass 'inspection' and hopefully be on my way. I just hope it doesn't choke it down too much, though I doubt it will with the 2 1/2" pipe it's currently running.