starter for an anchor reel?

93fordturbo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im not sure which forum to ask this on, but i was wondering how well a starter would hold up for pulling up an anchor for a boat. If i made it so it didn't pull it up so fast, maybe it would work?? People say they will burn out, but i have held the starter on my truck for damn near a minute quite a few times. Or, i was thinking about using a semi starter. Anyways, what are your thoughts?

plywood

Recovered N/A
Reaction score
My first thought is how much that nice thick marine copper wire would cost going from the back of the boat all the way to the front.:eek:

Just bring a kid with you.:D

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Dieselcrawler

Professional wrench holder
Staff member
Reaction score
biggest thing is the speed they spin. what size anchor are we talking bout here?

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Starters aren't rated for constant-duty operation...at least no starter I've ever seen. I don't know how deep you're anchoring in or how big your boat/anchor is, but even if you're in 10 feet of water, you're supposed to be putting out 50 to 70 feet of chain/line...I think that's too much for any starter to pull up even if you slowed it down so it wouldn't burn out as fast.

I think you're better off with a winch, or if the anchor and chain/line are light enough, having a kid pull it out for you...

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I merged the double post and cleaned up this thread.

Were you planning on putting a windlass on the starter motor directly, or where you going to build a little transmission for it?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
How much is proper stuff? We had 2 that dad pulled out of our last boat years ago. I wonder if still has them. Would you be interested if he does?

Compu Doc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing you might look into is the motor off a hose reel. Fuel oil delivery trucks use these and I have not seen one burn out yet from pulling the hose back onto the truck.

randomq

Reaction score
One thing you might look into is the motor off a hose reel. Fuel oil delivery trucks use these and I have not seen one burn out yet from pulling the hose back onto the truck.

There is a huge amount of reduction on them. I took pictures of the setup on my fuel truck to show this. A normal Bic pen is in a each picture for scale.

It's still pretty easy to stall the motor out if the hose gets caught on anything, even little small stuff that you'd think it would just push out of the way.

The first picture is the motor gear, with air-operated disk brake so the hose doesn't unroll going down the road. The second picture is the reel gear, it's around eighteen inches across. The third picture is the motor.

Attachments

• 0603111256.jpg
    0603111256.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 0603111257.jpg
    0603111257.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 0603111257a.jpg
    0603111257a.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Forum statistics