Speedometer Repair/Rebuild

Revelstoke

Reaction score
Had great experience with this rebuilder. They rebuild and calibrated my speedometer in about five days (turnaround). Polite, professional and so far, great work. I bought a new speedometer for $250.00, was not happy. This outfit rebuilt mine for around $90.00 and change.

Thanks for the suggestion CaptTom

Speedometer Service & Instrmnt
3551 NW Front Ave, Portland, OR 97210
(503) 227-5567

CaptTom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update Revel, good gouge you're giving us.

As far as cable style speedo's and tach's. yes, the ends can be lubed with straight grease to calm them down...... however..... you did read the however right?.... on older cables, if they're brushing, it can mean the guts are starting to fray apart. Also, if they're fraying, it will wear the sheath out and finally cut/spit them open. Failure could be imminent.

The best case scenario is, someone was messing with the cable and made too tight of a bend in it, or a bracket broke and the cable's not spinning freely inside the sheath.

Of course, this is a WAG for trucks, and based on the older cable systems so prevalent in vessels.

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Haven't messed with a cable speedo in a long time. IIRC you can pull out the inside cable from the speedo end and grease it as you feed it back in, twist it when it's all the way in so the square end engages the gear on the tranny.