Speaker sizes

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am going to redo the window motor gear stops on the 94 soon and will also change out the stereo system while I have the doors apart. I am getting conflicting information on the front door speaker size, Crutchfield is giving me both 5.25 and 6.5 speakers, Sonic says 6.5 front? I am sure someone knows what is correct. I am building my kitchen cabinets and don't really have time to take the door panels off just to look.

Jack

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank You Gentlemen. I think I am going with some Infinity Reference 6030cs up front, my MB Quartz 6.5 free air mid base subs with adapter plates for the rear. I think I will have to build a nice under rear seat box for the JL 12" sub. That should make a clean setup. I am surprised the rear doors do not have speakers in them? I think that can be changed easily.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think I will be fitting a 12" sub under the seat, not much room with the funky shape floor pan. I may have to build a behind the seat box, I really have putting a sub there though.

I did order a pair of these, great price and these things reproduce vocal ranges amazingly. I have to figure out where to fit them.
You must be registered for see images attach

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9308_Polk-Audio-db461P.html

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a set of 10's installed, with the speaker facing the floor, and the box behind the seat,
sounds great!

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a chance, a pic would be great. If I understand you, the subs are actually under the seat and the box behind the seat makes up the needed air volume?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a "self contained" pancake sub made by pioneer. power plus RCA jacks. internal crossover, internal amp, 8" speaker set in it's own engineered baffling system. $300. I should have done this years ago.

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have a "self contained" pancake sub made by pioneer. power plus RCA jacks. internal crossover, internal amp, 8" speaker set in it's own engineered baffling system. $300. I should have done this years ago.
I can vouch for that setup...unless you're going to be going into competition stereo systems, it'll do an amazing job of filling your truck cab up with sound ;Sweet I'm planning to do this on my truck!

I am surprised the rear doors do not have speakers in them? I think that can be changed easily.
I've been toying with the idea of putting a set of 6x9's in the rear doors to complement the front door and rear quarter speakers, to end up with 6 speakers plus a pancake sub. Has anyone done anything like that, and if so, how well did it work compared to a 4-speaker system? I've seen mixed reviews on using a 6-channel amp vs using a 4 channel amp and 2 ohm speakers and running the rear door and rear quarter speakers together; anyone with more audio experience have any thoughts there?

Sorry for the mini-hijack, but maybe this can help the OP as well? :dunno

franklin2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am going to redo the window motor gear stops on the 94 soon and will also change out the stereo system while I have the doors apart. I am getting conflicting information on the front door speaker size, Crutchfield is giving me both 5.25 and 6.5 speakers, Sonic says 6.5 front? I am sure someone knows what is correct. I am building my kitchen cabinets and don't really have time to take the door panels off just to look.

Jack

Either one fits. The 5 1/4 has mutliple holes and a large flange. You would use the outer holes near the outer rim of the speaker for the 5 1/4. You will find when you boltin the 6.5's the screws will be very close to the foam of the speaker, they have different hole patterns also.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can vouch for that setup...unless you're going to be going into competition stereo systems, it'll do an amazing job of filling your truck cab up with sound ;Sweet I'm planning to do this on my truck!

I've been toying with the idea of putting a set of 6x9's in the rear doors to complement the front door and rear quarter speakers, to end up with 6 speakers plus a pancake sub. Has anyone done anything like that, and if so, how well did it work compared to a 4-speaker system? I've seen mixed reviews on using a 6-channel amp vs using a 4 channel amp and 2 ohm speakers and running the rear door and rear quarter speakers together; anyone with more audio experience have any thoughts there?

Sorry for the mini-hijack, but maybe this can help the OP as well? :dunno

No hijack, I already have most of my components. I am thinking of putting the Polks in the rear doors.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I had to trim the door openings slightly to get 6.5" Alpines to fit. What's this talk of rear speakers? Never seen a Supercab or Crewcab with them factory.

SirRea63l

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They weren't factory, but they can be added.

IDIoit

MachinistFabricator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the absolute best thing you can do for your sound quality is to get away from the 2-3 way speakers.
I have been doing custom stereos in my cars since 1993
this is all if you want to spend the money.
2-3 way speakers are just cheap alternatives.

separate highs and mids should be in every location that you want crisp clear sound.
and subs in the rear of the vehicle.
your amp, 2/4/6 channels is all dependent on your wants and your funds.

I prefer to run a 2 channel amp to each type of speaker.
now sometimes in our trucks epically, we don't have the room.

but an amp for each type is the best to tune and get the sound you want.

this is why I do not run head units.
most of my music is digital now a days, ran from my phone bluethoothed into a 7 band EQ.
this way I can adjust the sound quickly and easily.

my system is not perfect, but I used what ive collected over the years.
I did buy rear speakers, because that 6 x 8 is an oddball.

here is my sub and amp set up

Last edited:

steelheadguy

Registered Idiot
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What do you use instead of a head unit? I always wanted either an EQ or amp that could just connect to my phone through bluetooth or an aux cable. The only other thing you could need is maybe a usb port.

I have an old oldsmobile I wanted to do this to so I could leave the broken stock radio in it but still play digital files

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online