Source of tools for timing IDI

johnnolanstrtgld

Reaction score
I'm looking for (currently available) tools to time my IDI. I believe the The snap on probe to do the optical method is no longer available. I heard about another piezo sensor that you clamp to injector and hook to a timing light, but I don't think it's available any more. I guess they stopped making it. The MAC piezo sensor/ timing light is no longer available.

Just looking for a source of a (hopefully new) quality tool to time my IDI, without having to try to build my own sensor.

Trevtron

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve only found the Gunson 77089 offered on Ebay from the UK. It’s $200, and uses the pulse clamp on the injection line.
There are used Rotunda and other units for sale (used) on Ebay, usually between $275-$375

Last edited:

johnnolanstrtgld

Reaction score
Thanks for the offer. The price is right. I'd like to learn to do it myself, if only so I can. Maybe I try it and have you check it.

How is the quality of the Gunson? I'm wondering if I should try to make my own.

HighKoot

Reaction score
I found two snap on pulse adapters on Letgo a few months ago. Bought mine for 60$ USD which turned out to be $185 CAD with shipping, but still hell of a deal. This one is still online for $80, just not sure if it's still available.

https://letgo.onelink.me/O2PG/3410fa6d
posted by Alexa Billy

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The surplus tach n time units on eBay will do the job. The parts for them I think are available through tiny tach now.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use a Ferrett brand pulse adapter. Snap-on still offers one under the bluepoint brand the part number is MT257B too.

johnnolanstrtgld

Reaction score
I think I like the snap on one the best of the ones currently available. Do I need a snap on timing light to use this? How does it attach to the fuel line? Is the snap on one any good? Anyone using this that would recommend it?

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
I picked up one of those surplus Tech-N-Time meters (basically the same as the Kent Moore meters). Haven't been able to really test it yet since the tube for the magnetic probe on my timing cover is wobbly again.

tjsea

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I like the snap on one the best of the ones currently available. Do I need a snap on timing light to use this? How does it attach to the fuel line? Is the snap on one any good? Anyone using this that would recommend it?
You can use any programable timing light. I have a Mac one I use with my ferrett pulse adapter, but pretty much any of the digital ones work. The sensor clamps on the no. 1 injection line. You'll have to shine it up with some emory cloth first. Also just so you know they get timed at exactly 2000rpms. If you are above or below the reading will change. 8.5 degrees is the spec plus or minus 1 degree. Many people time them to 9.5 since that's where they seem to like it best. If you get over 10.5 it will start eating glow plugs.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I bought mine from the snap on truck. It uses the thing you clamp to #1. Its made in Taiwan and has the blue point name.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance