Sound deadening Questions.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know of a good replacement or substitute for the stuff on top of the fender wells?

I had to throw mine out, it was only half there.

Ditto that. I'm sure dynamat or another supplier sells something suitable. I'd like to find a generic version so I don't have to bend over too far...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys made me start thinking about this. It's expensive but really using a combination of peel n seal and killmat it's not horrible.

I was very impressed with how well the peel n seal held up under Saburai's truck. Seems like a great way to do it, peel n seal under the floor and engine side of the firewall and something like the killmat on the inside.

Definitely going to be looking at the Noico stuff too now.

What's another 200# on a crew cab dually LOL

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm going to put the Peel and Seal in the doors and in the cab. It might not be quite as effective as dynamat and the rest, but I'm definitely sure that it would be much better than nothing.

How did you prep first, just degreaser or alcohol or something like that? That's stuck pretty good.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember removing the factory sound dampening stuff that was on top of plastic fender liners under the hood, only because it was ugly and damn,,,,,,,,,, that was a bad move! If that factory stuff was available somewhere, I'd love to buy it and reverse my stupid mistake of removing it.
I just did this and man I am scared to hear how loud it got. that is why i will be sound deadening the cab before too long.
I looked everywhere and could not find any either, but i wanted to make my engine bay look better so it had to go.

OlyGreenMonster

Reaction score
Someone already pointed you to sounddeadenershowdown.com, pointing out they're closed, but the website still has great info. I was suprised to see that he retired in February. I've used their product for two vehicles, including my 1993 F350 crew cab, which isn't diesel yet but which will hopefully be one by next summer. That site points out that dynamat products and equivalents are only a small part of the solution, and you don't need to layer every inch with it. The main weapon on sound blocking is the mass loaded vinyl, separated from the metal by closed-cell foam, in addition to 25-30% coverage with a dynamat style product. Thing is, it's not cheap. It cost me over $600 in material to do the crew cab, firewall to back wall, plus the doors. But it is now the quietest vehicle I've ever driven, quieter than my '98 volvo. I wish sounddeadenershowdown would offer suggestions on alternative sources for their materials now that they're closed, because their prices were great.

03wr250f

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my buddy who was up for the weekend suggested possibly even using carpet pad on the floor to help deaden noise. I know everyone says you dont have to cover every square inch just like 60% but it makes more sense to me to fully cover everything, and it will help with insulating which would be cool... hahaha pun intended. As well as it makes me feel better inside.
I feel like with some sticky glue in a can or tube you could get very creative with what you use for a mass loaded deadner

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my buddy who was up for the weekend suggested possibly even using carpet pad on the floor to help deaden noise. I know everyone says you dont have to cover every square inch just like 60% but it makes more sense to me to fully cover everything, and it will help with insulating which would be cool... hahaha pun intended. As well as it makes me feel better inside.
I feel like with some sticky glue in a can or tube you could get very creative with what you use for a mass loaded deadner

Agreed. There's got to be a much more affordable home brewed alternative. The stuff can't really cost that much - someone is making some good coin...

chillman88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did some looking the other day. Closed cell foam isn't very expensive and neither is mass loaded vinyl. They were pretty easy to find through Google. His write ups explain everything that has to be done, just takes a little guess work on material thickness.

renjaminfrankln

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used automotive carpet with a mass vinyl backing when I re-did my interior. Its available from rockauto. Put some noico .80mil down on the floor and then the carpet on top of it. Made a big difference. Also sealing up the transmission and transfer case boots. Engine noise used to be very loud on the highway, now i'm hearing more exhaust tone and general wind roar/noise than engine noise.

How difficult is it to take the headliner out of a reg. cab? Come out with a couple screws? Im actually getting a ton of wind noise from the roof. Would like to throw some noico up there. I have about 30lbs leftover! Doing the doors today. Putting in a nice set of component speakers as well.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did some looking the other day. Closed cell foam isn't very expensive and neither is mass loaded vinyl. They were pretty easy to find through Google. His write ups explain everything that has to be done, just takes a little guess work on material thickness.

Care to share some links for what you found?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SixFourShanks08

Members online