Somewhat a 911...WTS light not coming one truck not starting

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so heres the skinny, had to move the truck out of the driveway onto the street, Its been there for about 3 days and the temperature was pretty warm (-5C) today its -14C and we have a snofall warning so i decided I would park the truck back in the driveway incase the city decided to plow the street. anyway I went to start the truck and I didnt get any WTS light at all, so I waited about 15 seconds and cranked it didnt want to start at all and there was a bit of a odd smell in the cab kind of smelt like diesel. I did take a flashlight and do a quick check over but its pretty chilly so i will look at if the gp controller is unpluged tomorrow. Any one have any thoughts on this situation?

Last edited:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I cant believe you said -5c was pretty warm! When its cooler here my ign switch dont always light up my wts light. I gotta wiggle it some.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I grew up a couple hours south of PG, in a place some of us called "Willy's Puddle" in the winter anything less than -20 is pretty much considered warm.

Sounds like the GP controller didn't engage. you should be able to manually engage it with a jumper wire off the battery to the relay in a pinch if the wiggle trick mentioned above doesn't do it.

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Haha ya I personally enjoy -5 to about -10C, I am not that big of a fan of summer cause you can get away from coold by layering but summer you dont have much of a chance. Okay I will try wiggling the ignition switch around thanks

Good ol Williams lake, I used to haul chips out of tolko there for a very brief period in my life. Thanks okay So i will take a jumper cable from the positive lead of one of the batteries and attach that to the red wire on the relay? And then let it glow for about 10 seconds?

gdhillon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Weird I didnt even wiggle the tumbler and the WTS light came on today. While it was sitting on the road the hood was slightly cracked maybe something froze up? Either way I am going to take the air cleaner and look for loose connections and maybe put some dielectric on the connections

OLDBULL8

Good Morning Ya'll.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dielectric grease is NOT for making a better contact, it's called dielectric, meaning it will NOT conduct electricity. Lot's of people put that on connector pins and whatnot, then wonder why they have trouble with sensors and/or connections. Smear it on the outside to keep moisture and corrosion away.

Zaggnutt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Recently had similar problem. One day - started. Few days later - no start, WTS light not coming on. While checking connections I over-torqued one of the large terminals on the GP Controller and it snapped. Seemed brittle, probably original. Replaced it and truck started like it couldn't wait for me. Good luck!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online