Somebody here needs to jump all over this!!!

ProjResponder

Reaction score
I'll be jumping all over both of these. One is in my " backyard" and the other is in my previous "backyard". Way cool, thanks

Dyrtbyrd

Reaction score
have to be for sale when i dont have the $$$ and am out of work.
oh and when my 93 idi is needing an engine!!!!!!!

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
proj resp-
do yourself a favor. go buy a really tore up truck with a good motor. for your project you need a whole bunch of little things(like a wiring harness) as well as a motor. Also, you will learn one thing when you start doing the physical part of the motor graft......noone pulls one of these motors without a really good reason. You'll understand what I'm talking about when you do itcookoo:D;Sweet
In Kali, I can get really beat up bodies with good running gear for less than $1k. Often I close the deal at $700. But I must be able to hear them run, check for blowby, check to see if there's oil in the radiator and if the upper hose pressurizes. If it passes all those tests a deal is then made.

ProjResponder

Reaction score
proj resp-
do yourself a favor. go buy a really tore up truck with a good motor. for your project you need a whole bunch of little things(like a wiring harness) as well as a motor. Also, you will learn one thing when you start doing the physical part of the motor graft......noone pulls one of these motors without a really good reason. You'll understand what I'm talking about when you do itcookoo:D;Sweet
In Kali, I can get really beat up bodies with good running gear for less than $1k. Often I close the deal at $700. But I must be able to hear them run, check for blowby, check to see if there's oil in the radiator and if the upper hose pressurizes. If it passes all those tests a deal is then made.
towcat,
That's great advice. Thanks. For clarification, what year trucks should I be looking for?

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
towcat,
That's great advice. Thanks. For clarification, what year trucks should I be looking for?
if you cast a wide net, 87-91 will work. problem is '87 uses some pretty specialized connectors unique to that year only. so, 88-91 is much more universal for what you're planning on doing. any f250 or f350 will do the job. what kind of trans do you have behind the 460 right now?

ProjResponder

Reaction score
C6 3spd automatic. I would like to stay with a C6. I've not heard good things about the E4OD and I can't use a manual.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you will need to graft in the prndl switch if you get a harness for manual trans. not hard to do in contrast to the EMS lighting you've done already. nice part is if you do buy a truck with a ZF5 behind the motor, you can recoup some of your purchase costs by selling the ZF. Used E4DOA's are considered cores/paperweights due to the fact you can drive around the block and burn one up if the electronics are bad. there is some specific injection pump parts and kickdown parts specific to a C6 but that can be easily had too.

ProjResponder

Reaction score
...nice part is if you do buy a truck with a ZF5 behind the motor, you can recoup some of your purchase costs by selling the ZF.
So do I understand correctly that the ZF is the 5 speed manual transmission? How much is one of these worth?
Thanks,
Michael

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
yes a ZF-5 is a 5speed and they are worth anywhere from around 500-1500 depending. typical rebuilds i see were in the 1300 range with a trashed one in the lower range. my brother in law just went through this and we ended up buying a whole truck together. he got the tranny and plow, i got the engine and turbo and we are splitting the rest parting it out.