Sold the idi

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
As much as I hate to say it, I got rid of my old 88 idi...kinda killed me but it was fallin apart and I couldn't keep up with repairs...Thanks to everyone for all their help on here!

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ray, tell me your kidding right? You would trade your F-series for a wanna be? Not to mention giving your money to more foreigners. :rolleyes:

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Beaver32, you'll be back. You'll get lonesome for the simple life.

Hammerdown, all I can say is, Buy American. (owned company)

Clydesdale

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really want to play devils advocate here... but I won't...

Sorry to see the ol red Ferd go Beave, dealer or private party?

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just kidding people...I'll NEVER own a foreign name plate Truck! :puke:
But a new loaded 4x4 F150 Super Crew rollin on 20's would be nice :sly
Besides Mel > when the time comes my great truck will find a new home in your driveway > you'll call it 'Pampered Moose' ;Sweet

FordGuy100

Reaction score
I was at the dealer last night looking at cab lights (buddy was installing them and wanted to know how they did it).

Anyways there are some definatly nice trucks. Obviously the price tags reflect it LOL. Easily 40k for a F150, and easy 55-65K for a superduty.

Thats pretty insane for something that wont ever appreciate in value.

Beave32

Beave32
Reaction score
Well I did however trade it for another local truck...84 chevy 3/4 ton with a 97 Z28 camaro 350 in it...true dual flowmaster exhaust...got to keep my wheels and tires though...I'll post a pic if anyone would like to see it? I'll take good or bad comments ha ha...It's all american made to me!

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My nephew had a dealership completely rebuild the A/C on his 98 1/2 Cummins Dodge and put in a new dash because it didn't make sense not to and that was at $5K. A good older truck that you know. Or $50 or $60 K for something new that some day will be old and you will be out that money plus interest. I made that mistake on my old truck. Can you easily fix these new trucks. Can you burn pretty much anything in these new trucks. Are the tires relatively cheap on these new trucks. They do have lots of power but how much of that do we need. What wont these old IDI's do that we need to do? just my 2cents...........

as soon as I posted this rant I saw your post, we must have been typing at the same time. If you like the trade then good for you and its American!

pybyr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only bought one second-hand vehicle as a daily driver (I've had lots of older vehicles as project and fun vehicles).

I've owned a lot of imports, including 2 Toyota trucks.

So- I hope that you're getting the picture that I am pretty open minded on this topic and that I value reliability.

So- what is my daily driver now? It's the one and only second hand vehicle that I've bought as a daily driver-- my 1989 F350 7.3.

Absent deliberate abuse, this truck will still be ready to work and play when all the plasticky current stuff is ready for the crusher.

Toyotas have their nice points, but they haven't made a serious work truck since they went away from the solid front axle. Their rear springs will go spongy even with use for occasional weekend warrior heavy loads (I know this from experience). And their MPG is nothing to brag about, and again, I know that from experience.

I'd rather undertake the care and feeding of my 89, which is simple and affordable to maintain and use.

idi traveler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In my youth I spent a great deal of time in North Africa and different parts of Asia> Toyota's were King in those parts of the world. Good indestructible powerful diesels. The springs never sagged with years of abuse, light trucks doing medium duty work. Those trucks were never sold in this country. If they had been, this might be a Toyota Board.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In my youth I spent a great deal of time in North Africa and different parts of Asia> Toyota's were King in those parts of the world. Good indestructible powerful diesels. The springs never sagged with years of abuse, light trucks doing medium duty work. Those trucks were never sold in this country. If they had been, this might be a Toyota Board.
overseas, the trucks are spec'd a little differently. for one, there's nothing soft about the springs they use. why? overloading is a way of life. I wouldn't call them powerful either. they're anemic but they will get the job done with the absolute miminum amount of fuel consumed.;Sweet

Dave7.3

Diesel ******
Reaction score
I have to say, those foreign Toyotas are tough trucks. If any of you guys have seen Top Gear, you know what I'm talking about ;Sweet

Our Fords are just as tough though...any video you see on Davidsfarm is a testimony to that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger