So what did you do with your truck today?

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
put her back to work yesterday and today.....and she liked it as much as i did.

-chip truck.

she needs some more tinkering soon;

power steering pump seal kit - just got it.ready to install.
(i suspect the o-ring i borrowed from a fuel filter and installed for a res o-ring is what failed)

replacement rad support......oh reminds me.iv got research and order the mounts/bolts or whatnot i might need.

the bed is about all new,but the sides of the deck and the rear needs to be replaced.the front,and all c-channels are new.
time to re-deck or have some metal sheet put down this time.dunno.then iv got to redo the plywood sides and front of the stake sides.got some holes up front.if i put it off much longer,im gunna toss a stick of wood through the rear window and need to replace that too lol.

Last edited:

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
You should stop driving something drinking 3 gallons of coolant a week.
You have heard of cavitation ( right)?!
Whats the oil look like?
Don't see adding fuel to the fire with more ip.
Just my 2 copper slugs.

Pump will only be on for acouple weeks I don't drive more the 30 miles one way and it only drinks a lot when I run a lot like goin to other towns every day and it's not leaking nor is there any finding its way in the cab and none in the oil. And no smoke like it's burning it lol.my dads had the same problem with his 302 for 8 years and changed everything but the head gaskets lol. But I'm changing motors hopefully like the second week of May after I graduate. It could possibly be my overflow imma check it tommorrow

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dunk,

How well that I understand local stores NOT having the things that you need. = None of the places that I've tried here even have SEAT COVERS for an 1986 F250 with bench seat.
(I'd sooner not get anything on my "as new" tan cloth seats, like dirt/grease/deer blood/etc.)
When I asked about the seat covers at one large local store, the asst. manager laughed & said, "We don't carry stuff for those ancient trucks." - 1986 is "ancient"??

yours, satx

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
maybe not ancient,but at age 30,she's no spring chicken either satx.;) they can't stock everything.they have to carry what they will sell most often.
for things like this,amazon and ebay are good places to shop.you'll find better prices there anyway.that said,there sure are a lot of classic trucks down your way.to see so many as you guys are still driving around down there in a day,id need to go to a car show to see as many in a day up this way.
up this way,my clean chip truck turns heads.down there she'd just be another truck.almost all ford trucks on the roads here now are all super duty era (of which i can't tell from '99 to '16.they all look basically the same to me.)

Last edited:

satx78247

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FORDF250HDXLT,

TRUE in all respects. = I buy MOST of my Mercedes & truck parts off of ebay, amazon or another "worldwideweird" site & usually for HALF of local prices.
(I just thought that it was amusing that he thinks 30YO is "ancient", inasmuch as I'll be 70YY in 6 months. = )

WHEN/IF you decide that you want a rust-free, low mileage, "ancient" truck, let me know & I'll find you one with <100,000 one-owner miles & that LOOKS "near mint", for CHEAP.
(My old & minty-looking 1991 F250 7.3 diesel wasn't even looked at as an "antique" here in South TX.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

jwalterus

Made in America
Reaction score
Hooked up to the little trailer and hauled down to bismarck.
Picked up a '99 explorer XLT with a 5.0 (not 4wd but awd???? cookoo), picked it up for a whopping total of $800, just needs a windshield (already scheduled with safelite ;Sweet), drives a helluva lot nicer than my truck
158k miles on it so I'll be changing out the entire driveline fluids, rear main started leaking immediately after they changed the oil a couple weeks ago, a high mile 302 might have a tendency to do that when you have an oil change place fill the crankcase with 0-20 instead of 5-30 :rotflmao

83ford

ford diesel baby
Reaction score
So I don't actually know if it's maybe leaking from the overflow or not but I topped her off for the first time this week(barley went anywhere) an filled the overflow and drove 30 miles runnin about 65-70 with the a/c on(which I usally can't do) and it never got above halfway.and it was in the 70's an 80's today

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, last week went outside to start her up and NOTHING. No cab light, dash-lights...nada:mad:. Pulled both batt's tested them indepedently on the bench and the both had good charge. Put them back in the truck and NOTHING. My ignition has been crappy and loose since I bought the thing, could this be my problem? Time for push button ignition?:dunno

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So a couple of pics from the weekend. Found some crispy wiring..thought that was my "no power" issue....
You must be registered for see images attach

Fixed 'em with butt-splices and heat-shrink...and some new wire loom..(plastic crap..)

and then i decided to POR my rusty a$$ battery trays...before..

after......

after I put the Batt's back in the dome light light up and I was like "good sign"....(fingers crossed) but as soon as the key went into the ignition...completely dead again.:mad:
but her battery trays are nice and shiny black now, and should last for the rest of the trucks life;Sweet

DaveBen

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You had better get one of those round brushed to clean the battery connectors. Those look pretty bad and will result in resistance when you go to start it. This in turn results in low voltage to the starter and a slow spin of the starter. It ALL helps or hurts.

Dave

Morgonzo

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna do that next, along with checking the fusible links (gotta find them first..) and tearing into the column to look a the ignition switch. I tried to jump her off the solenoid on the fender, but got nada yet again.

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my "Brick House". Went trout fishing / camping over the weekend and it snowed!

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah,it's a bit early for such events in PA catbird.but they can't say you didn't try.:D

FORDF250HDXLT

Supporting Member
Reaction score
attachment.php

did i do that right.........

yeah,ok.another thing there is that your cables are shot.see the dark around the cables a couple inches in both directions from your corrosive terminal......they have been overheating due to corrosion causing too much resistance.if you slice into those you'll see loads of powder come out and corroded cables.
you've got to replace those at some point.
when you replace the cables and terminals,coat them with some grease and it will keep all the corrosion away for years and years.