So what did you do with your truck today?

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hauled d a pallet of sakrete to Brandon's house for the post hole footers for his new shop. People at Lowe's said" are you sure? 42 80lb bags, dually finally touched the overloads, a lot .lol no issues tho. Man I gotta get this truck turboed.

manimal

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed the glow plugs in my 84. Had Autolites in it and now has Motorcrafts...WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!!!

PaulRicciardi

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Well this was Saturday but my brother and I threw the Jon boat in the truck and went to one of our favorite private fishing spots. Truck is in this picture just small. Caught enough crappie and bream on the fly rod for supper for 4 people tonight.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Used Plast-aid for the pillar trim. If you use this product don't hover over it and have some ventilation, if you plan to have kids without extra limbs and such. Both components have a very strong odor. It bonded nicely to the new black center piece which I believe is ABS, appeared to sort of melt it slightly at the surface. I did not notice this reaction on the original trim end pieces. Work time is short, you have a golden window between liquid and solid and it is brief. It's difficult to work as when it will still bond well it is too tacky to shape how you want, it pulls away with your hands or wood or metal implements. When is loses it's stickiness it is easier to mold how you want but will not cleanly bond at the edge where it is thin. I tried to balance that and sanded it a bit (hard to sand). With more practice I could probably do better. I may try using it on my cracked dash panel too (plastic part, not the dash pad). Bondo would have been easier but not sure if bondo would crack or not going on thick.

Not perfect by a long shot but I think it's adequate for my goals. I will pick up a can of Dupli-Color HVP110 tomorrow and try coating it. Supposedly this matches Ford's red interior fairly well. I'll eventually do the whole interior in HVP110, or possibly change to tan if I think the quality is good enough to wear well over a red base and I am up to doing headliner and upholstery too.

Koch13351

Full Access Member
Reaction score
New thermostat today. Motorcraft of course! Temp became erratic last week, and while I was coasting down a hill it dropped to about 175° quite fast. Then slowly creeped back up to 195-200°. Did this at least once a day. Now it doesn't, and temp stays put at 192-195°.
Then, tomorrow morning comes the fun and excitement....
Upgrading the fuel system to 7.3 style, and NO OLIVES! I've finally got all my parts/fittings necessary to make it happen.
-deleting 6.9 water seperator
-7.3 filter head, heater deleted, cleaned and painted, WIX 33417 filter/seperator
-rubber fuel line from lift pump to filter head
-clear fuel line from filter head to IP
-7.3 injection return system with clear fuel line throughout.
About this clear fuel line... I don't recall what it was called. Not Tygon. But the guy at my local mom n' pop parts shop said he has used it a lot over the years and doesn't get hard/brittle. So, I'll be the test dummy for you guys, since I know some are intrigued by clear fuel lines as it makes air intrusions easy to find. Also is about 1/3 of the price. And from what I've read, Tygon gets hard(?). I will likely be doing a write up on this whole fuel system swap/upgrade/Olive Delete, including a parts list. And I'll get more info on the clear fuel line when I pick up my filter from the parts store.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Another 14 hour day at work. Thought I was gonna take it easy toward the end of the week since it's been 3 weeks since I had a day off, but we'll go for burn out instead. Tired but needed to unwind. Forgot the vinyl dye so, shifting gears (haha!), threw this together.

Almost there...

JLtoolman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use the yellow Tygon hose that is designed for fuel. So far it is working well. It is the same stuff Bobcat uses in their fuel tanks. I had to pull a tank, and after 5 years, it was still soft.

OldIron82

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fired up the 89F350 dump for the first time after changing the injection pump. Used a push button starter hooked to the solenoid so I could remain under the hood. Long story short, I noticed the throttle lever was a little wobbly and tweaked. It fell off. I thought ok, I'll straighten it in the vice and then figure out how to reattach it. Soon as I started prying on it, it broke. Looked like brittle white metal.
You must be registered for see images

Knowing nothing about wrenching on pumps, I had a psycobilly freakout and smashed the lever with a hammer I yanked the entire injection pump assembly back off and decided to take a chance on the pump i got off of the ambulance. I bolted it to the 6.9 to hold it so I could work on it.
After flip flopping all necessary parts I installed pump #3 and finished all the olives. Once I was finished priming everything, I engaged the glow plugs and for the first time ever she fired with no ether. I did notice I had a broken glow plug wire I didn't notice before beginning the return line repair. Fixed that, and now I get a good 8 secs of WTS.

Now for the highlight of the day. Oil Cooler failed. Big time!
A major winter storm possible for my area Sunday night into Monday and now I'm probably down my plow truck. I called Conestoga Diesel and have o-rings on the way. I hope I get them in time, as there is no way I can drive it. It is RUNNING out the rear pedestal of the oil cooler.

This 7.3 and I are having one helluva disagreement. It wants to die but I won't let the S.O.B!!!

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Noticed the odometer when I pulled in the driveway tonight... This is supposedly the first time around if PO can be trusted. My other '86 is going on its 5th time around.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Made an oopsie on the 3-4 syncro hub, if anyone spotted it... :dunno Pulled it off and put it on right then continued putting some bits together. All that's left is to get the front case sorted, measure for shims, and throw it all in the case. Not sure how I want to clean up the front half. Degreased and hosed it down. Would be nice to blast it but won't fit in my cabinet. Debating wire wheeling OCD style or just use a brush and quickly knock the worst of the crusty off. It's early enough I could have it all together tonight if I do a quickie on it, but no rush as I don't have a turbo that'll fit with the ZF yet. I'll ponder this for a bit.

Gonna have a 460 front case and complete diesel guts I don't need when this is done...

C_Luft

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I pulled my turbo to replace the drain grommet/seal that was leaking (kit supplied by type 4). I also swapped injection pumps due to heat soak last summer. While everything was apart I swapped the valve cover gaskets. It was my first time doing the turbo and ip, and I even got the truck timed ,after an initial static timing of 12.5 and thought trial and error (went to 14.1 second try) and eventuality getting the timing down to 10.2.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online