So what did you do with your truck today?

KansasIDI

Hopelessly addicted to IDIs
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I started it up before breakfast, and then forgot about it! I decided during breakfast that I was gonna use the Dodge today, as I haven’t run it in awhile. So I drove the Dodge around, and just got back from town, when I was told that my truck was running. It was then I realized that I left it running, at idle, for 12 hours… so that’s all I did with it today… burned fuel for absolutely no reason at all

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I started it up before breakfast, and then forgot about it! I decided during breakfast that I was gonna use the Dodge today, as I haven’t run it in awhile. So I drove the Dodge around, and just got back from town, when I was told that my truck was running. It was then I realized that I left it running, at idle, for 12 hours… so that’s all I did with it today… burned fuel for absolutely no reason at all
I did that once in my ‘02 half ton reg cab Chevy. Co worker came in, hey your pickups running. Oops. 4 hrs of idle time :frustrate

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@IDIBRONCO man I like your pickup and trailer setup. I have a similar one.

For S&G’s I dream about adding one of those hitches on slides to activate the drum brakes on mine. And also making it a dump bed. But there goes the Waylon Jennings “Drinkin’ and Dreamin’”

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score

For S&G’s I dream about adding one of those hitches on slides to activate the drum brakes on mine. And also making it a dump bed. But there goes the Waylon Jennings “Drinkin’ and Dreamin’”
If you mean automatic trailer brakes, with the master cylinder in the hitch, our generator trailers at work have those. Talk about jerky, yankety, rough brakes. They work too good, even with the huge generators we have on them, if the fuel tanks on the generators are empty the brakes will lock up pretty easily. Sketchy as hell in the ice. Seems like they last longer somehow, probably because they don’t engage unless your real ******* the brakes. But they are snappy. Nothin, nothin, ALL THE BRAKES. I don’t like them. But everyone has their preferences. We’ve never had any leaky brakes on those trailers.

KansasIDI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did that once in my ‘02 half ton reg cab Chevy. Co worker came in, hey your pickups running. Oops. 4 hrs of idle time :frustrate
It’s a genetic trait in my case. My dad does it all the time, in the winter he’ll get to the jobsite, and fire up every piece of equipment on the jobsite, and not run all of them throughout the course of the day. He never shuts his pickup off, regardless of what time of year, except for at restaurants and at night. It is very new and has a crap ton of hours. Every piece of equipment gets shut off for lunch, and most get fired up after, while only some of those get used… is worse in the winter than any other part of year…

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you mean automatic trailer brakes, with the master cylinder in the hitch, our generator trailers at work have those. Talk about jerky, yankety, rough brakes. They work too good, even with the huge generators we have on them, if the fuel tanks on the generators are empty the brakes will lock up pretty easily. Sketchy as hell in the ice. Seems like they last longer somehow, probably because they don’t engage unless your real ******* the brakes. But they are snappy. Nothin, nothin, ALL THE BRAKES. I don’t like them. But everyone has their preferences. We’ve never had any leaky brakes on those trailers.
Man, I must be forgetting to remember correctly. 20 some years ago we had them on equipment flatbeds, steel decks. Only used them in the summer though. I thought they worked pretty awesome.

Course in a runaway situation they wouldn’t help at all either.

Maybe they make an electric over hydraulic that take the brake controller signal and convert it back to run hydraulic brakes.

Or better yet. I’ll just keep down shifting and using the trailer as is with no brakes....

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s a genetic trait in my case. My dad does it all the time, in the winter he’ll get to the jobsite, and fire up every piece of equipment on the jobsite, and not run all of them throughout the course of the day. He never shuts his pickup off, regardless of what time of year, except for at restaurants and at night. It is very new and has a crap ton of hours. Every piece of equipment gets shut off for lunch, and most get fired up after, while only some of those get used… is worse in the winter than any other part of year…
I thought the new pickups all had timers on them to shut off or even lock the doors if the key is not sensed or some other algorithm I’m not aware of.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
For S&G’s I dream about adding one of those hitches on slides to activate the drum brakes on mine.

If you mean automatic trailer brakes, with the master cylinder in the hitch, our generator trailers at work have those. Talk about jerky, yankety, rough brakes.
Those are called surge brakes. I'm not a big fan of them either. Try backing up a loaded trailer with them on it and see how it goes. I have no desire to have brakes on a pickup bed trailer. To me it's almost pointless. Maybe not pointless, but I feel that it would/could be more trouble than it's worth. I knew a guy who built a trailer out of a Dakota. He insisted on using a lever to activate the parking brakes on it. With the cables exposed, I think that he would have found them to be rusted in place some day. That is if he wouldn't have let someone else permanently borrow the trailer. I had the brakes on this one start dragging one time while I was pulling it with my Bronco. That was a PITA! I ended up backing them all the way off. I had planned to remove the shoes, but since it hadn't given me any more trouble in over 12 years, I probably won't.
Thanks. It turned out to be the one that I use the most often. I originally built it to be my firewood cutting trailer and I've used it for that quite often. I like it because I can fill it up, drop it off and unload the wood when I get around to it instead of right away like I would if I just used my truck bed. I was given the tool box that's bolted in front of the bed. During wood cutting season, I keep 40'+ of chains in there, my saw fuel, bar oil, sledge hammer, maul, extra saw chains, a long pry bar, and whatever else I think that I may need in there.

Cant Write

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok ok, my youth fails me!! @KansasIDI @IDIBRONCO you guys convinced me surge brakes are a bad idea :idiot:

I need to get a box for the front of mine. Where do you keep your spare? Might be the same as your pickup, my trailer has a 5-lug GM 10-bolt under it. And like you I love to be able to drop it loaded and get to it later.

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
Where do you keep your spare? Might be the same as your pickup,
I throw it in the bed of the truck when I'm using the trailer. Otherwise, I keep it in the garage. One day, I plan to swap out rear ends under the trailer to a 8 bolt so that I can use the same spare for the truck and trailer.

FrozenMerc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Glow plugs. ******** Glow plugs. :frustrate

Since I sold my 2016 F250 a few weeks ago, the '85 has been pressed into daily driver duty until I find something else. The first cold wave of the season hit over the weekend. One battery went down trying to start it Monday morning, so the truck sat until I got that replaced Tuesday evening. Wednesday morning, it was 19 degs and needless to say, she was a bit difficult to start, and I knew right away that I had better check the glow plugs. Put a new set of glow plugs in after work and she fired off this morning before even cranking for a full revolution at 28 degs. Good Batteries and Good Plugs make a world of difference.

Last edited:

XOLATEM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ol' One-Ton ran over The Girl's welding helmet...one of them...

Fortunately it was not the one that had all of the adjustments...

(Sigh...) I had something to do with it...

When I write a book that advises kids what NOT to do in their lifetime...

Putting ANYTHING on the roof of your vehicle is going to be one of the chapters...

Gets me every time....

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_0106.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0106.jpg
    332.3 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_0107.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_0107.jpg
    307.1 KB · Views: 8

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ol' One-Ton ran over The Girl's welding helmet...one of them...

Fortunately it was not the one that had all of the adjustments...

(Sigh...) I had something to do with it...

When I write a book that advises kids what NOT to do in their lifetime...

Putting ANYTHING on the roof of your vehicle is going to be one of the chapters...

Gets me every time....
Always remember what Smokey the Diesel says, "only you can prevent yourself from being in the dog house........ eating crow......"

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin

Members online