So what did you do with your truck today?

Laine D

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hear you!!! I am usually good down to low 30's high 20's if I am ambitious enough. As soon as low to mid 20' arrive, I start thinking about Irish Cream and Coffee cause my dang hands can't handle the cold like they used too.

Mom drew my name for Christmas, bib overalls is on the list!! Carhartt or Berne? Or others...?
I have both. Try to *** before you put them on LOL

Edit: I guess you can’t say *** so I’ll say ******

Edit: Nevermind you can’t say p e e or t I n k l e

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nobody's judging, just laughing cause of course it's a Chevy! LOL
It says Chevy, I think it's actually an Isuzu in disguise.
Good thing that he's running WMO. These days, that Spectrum might be light enough that it wouldn't bring enough money to pay for the fuel to get it to the scrap yard. :joker:
$100, that's all she got me. But good money for an hour and a half of my time. And it was a really good test of my wheel lift.....,.. and YES! I unashamedly run on waste oil!

Nero

HD Diesel nut
Reaction score
Jump started my truck with my audi today. Funny sight. Loaded up some cans to return and a dresser to get rid of, and dropped a trickle charger on it

Also checked my radiator, new cap fixed the issue with it not sucking fluid back from the reservoir.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the fogged and hazed headlights I last replaced in 2007. It took hours - having to remove the batteries, the battery holders, the plastic assembly that holds the headlights, then reassemble it all. While I was down in the netherworld I replaced the horns - one which had already failed and the other that still worked OK but had a feeble, high pitched 3rd world squawk. I also replaced worm drive hose clamps on the transmission coolers with fuel injection hose clamps while I was down there.
It's still better than getting a smogged, urea swilling $80,000 new diesel pickup.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the fogged and hazed headlights I last replaced in 2007. It took hours - having to remove the batteries, the battery holders, the plastic assembly that holds the headlights, then reassemble it all. While I was down in the netherworld I replaced the horns - one which had already failed and the other that still worked OK but had a feeble, high pitched 3rd world squawk. I also replaced worm drive hose clamps on the transmission coolers with fuel injection hose clamps while I was down there.
It's still better than getting a smogged, urea swilling $80,000 new diesel pickup.
GREENIE!!! You are the picture of preventive maintenance! The idea of fixing things BEFORE they break, while you're fixing some broke stuff! I love it!!!
This goes along with the thread "who's smarter", well I'd say Greenie is because instead of making monthly payments for (you say urea, I say cat u-r-i-n-e. You know it smells like an old tom cat just took possession of their trucks) a cat u-r-i-n-e swilling $80,000 maximus americonis, he took it upon himself to keep his fine ole truck in tip top shape.

P.S. it literally edited out *****.

Greenie

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Don't want to jinx myself by making a statement about this truck never leaving me stranded along the roadside so I won't.
Most components give warning before outright failing. An alternator might make a different sound, voltages might drop. I'd rather replace failing parts on my terms - in a heated and well lit garage with every tool I own nearby. At 280,000 miles components fail and by trying to replace the parts as they show signs of failing I'm not riding around with half a dozen marginal issues all preparing to fail at the worst place and time. Keeping up with issues makes diagnosis easier too.
One other important factor, this truck is almost 30 years old. Parts are becoming harder to find. Garages willing to work on 30 year old vehicles are not all that common either if something major fails on the road away from home.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you! Don't want to jinx myself by making a statement about this truck never leaving me stranded along the roadside so I won't.
Most components give warning before outright failing. An alternator might make a different sound, voltages might drop. I'd rather replace failing parts on my terms - in a heated and well lit garage with every tool I own nearby. At 280,000 miles components fail and by trying to replace the parts as they show signs of failing I'm not riding around with half a dozen marginal issues all preparing to fail at the worst place and time. Keeping up with issues makes diagnosis easier too.
One other important factor, this truck is almost 30 years old. Parts are becoming harder to find. Garages willing to work on 30 year old vehicles are not all that common either if something major fails on the road away from home.
Absolutely. I drive for FedEx ground, our trucks are crap and break down all the time unless you have a thoughtful contractor (my contractor is decent). But you rarely ever see a UPS truck broke down, they have in house mechanics and a PM schedule that's out of this world. A 30yr old truck can be dependable if it's maintained......not just repaired!

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
But you rarely ever see a UPS truck broke down,
Well I have. I was even driving it. I was working at a place that had a contract to paint their trucks over about the western half of Kansas and we ended up covering probably 3/4 of the state by the end. I did most of the picking up and dropping off of the trucks after work hours. This particular one was the only one that I saw like it. It was a newer one that was built off of a Ford chassis. It was the fastest one that I had driven. I swore that the 4.2L V6 was a V8. The crazy thing was that the stupid thing would barely hold 60 MPH in overdrive on flat ground. It ran MUCH faster in drive than it did in overdrive. The engine let go on me when I was taking it back after paint. The mechanic sent a tow truck to get me and he said that it wasn't the first time that had happened to that one truck. I felt better and I never did admit that I had been going 95 in drive for well over 100 miles.:angel:
they have in house mechanics and a PM schedule that's out of this world.
Yes that absolutely true. During the busy time, from Thanksgiving to Christmas, they even had us store a couple of different engines and a couple of different transmissions just in case. In fact, both engines and one transmission were delivered to different locations around the state. They really liked us because they could call us up during business hours and the component would be there that night. I won't say that the part would be bad/broken, but the mechanic had decided that it needed to be replaced.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I won't say that the part would be bad/broken, but the mechanic had decided that it needed to be replaced.
They change the starter every 18 mths, and the alternator as well. Belts and hoses every 12 mths, replace the seat if it has any wear, seat belt if it doesn't snap back correctly. They do usually have engines and transmissions on hand at bigger stations. The semi truck that I used around the yard to jockey trailers around had brand new tires on it and the truck wasn't even tagged for highway usage.
It sounds like the truck you drove was special.

Jesus Freak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
SO was the one that had a T444E in it. It had a little more acceleration and about 5 MPH more top speed than the one of the same size with a 5.9 Cummins.
I mean the V6 one you discribed. We got a P700 with a 5.9, I can't stand it. I prefer the E350 cab over trucks, they're gas burners. I really don't study the trucks I drive, they're not mine and I don't want my contractor to think I'm interested in mechanicing on his trucks.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7

Members online