So what did you do with your truck today?

ammocan

Reaction score
2 days ago she worked hard by pulling a mini excavator, then a 4000LB load of gravel, 4000LB load of boulders, then pulling a 10,000LB skid steer all in 2 days. I rewarded her today buy finally putting on the new wheels and tires. took a week to get al the special order stuff for this dualy axle then they realized they needed reverse thread lugs so in all it took 2 and a half weeks to get these wheels on. this '83 was a pain to find wheels for. Discount tire gave me about $100 in lug nuts for free though.
Before
You must be registered for see images attach

After
You must be registered for see images attach

ammocan

Reaction score
Why reverse thread lug nuts?
Running dually adapters?

No adapters and no idea why it has reverse threads but the little research I did was my door placard says the truck has a dana 70HD spicer which i guess was manufactured in '80 and in that year they put a revers thread on it. im sure my research is off somewhere so experts chime in but thats what I learned. I originaly found out it was a reverse thread when I snapped 2 different heavy duty socket extentions with my 3 ft breaker bar trying to get lug nuts off.:frustrate. I also understand that its only reverse thread on one sidecookoo but not sure because I stopped trying after breaking my tools.

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck!

I drove mine from the back yard to the front yard. I should put a day permit on it one of these days and take it for a run!

Can30Diesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Up here you can put a temporary driving permit on a vehicle, usually for things like a vehicle which is used very rarely for dump runs, or to get a vehicle to an aircare facility, or to drive a vehicle you don't intend to insure right away from point a to point b. You pay by the day up to a maximum of I think 2 weeks.

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jacked up the rear end, took of both rear wheels and drums, cleaned and readjusted the shoes, put everything back together. It's still locking up on me, but not nearly as bad as it was, yesterday, the wheels would lock up on asphalt at 25 with the slightest pressure, today, one tire just barked when on pavement, and would lock up on gravel, but after a few minutes of driving, it had all gone away. I'm thinking proportioning valve?

It sucks taking off and putting back n both wheels with just an 18 inch cheater bar. Oh I wish I had an air gun.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

madpogue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sucks taking off and putting back n both wheels with just an 18 inch cheater bar. Oh I wish I had an air gun.
You don't need air. The entry level electric impact that HF puts on sale will spin those lug nuts in a jiffy. Shoot, last time I rotated tires and did some brake work, I used my Ryobi 18V cordless 1/2" impact. No problem shaking loose 140 ft-lb lugs. No hose, no cord, and way lighter than the plug-in electric (still recommend hearing protection).

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No proportioning valve.
The rabs valve is on the frame almost right under the firewall.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Does that sound like the culprit? Or something else?

As for the impact gun, that sounds like a worthy investment even after just one use. Turning those suckers on the old fashioned way sounds awful.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Most likely.
It take quit a bit of over tightening on the rears to do that.
Look to see if you have a valve near the axle.
It's a load proportioning valve. Not all trucks have them though. I haven't even seen one myself.
Is your abs light on?

mjs2011

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Negative on the load proportion valve. Now that you put it that way, I know for certain I don't. When my mechanic buddy looked over the truck, he put it in the lift and mentioned that valve saying some had them. Mine didn't. As for the abs light, it came on once a few months ago. I cycled the key and haven't seen it again.

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Could be burnt out. Or the abs computer could be shot.
Mine is on, but I have good braking.
I can lock them up if I try.
If'n I have problems with it, I'll probably remove it. Not recommended though. But I'll take the liability for what I do on my own truck.
Now you can disassemble and clean the rabs valve. And can sort of test it.

turbodidi

Reaction score
Pulled my ol 77 Fleetwood Prowler up for a weekend in the mountains. Trailer is only 18` but she`s pretty old and heavy(especially with all our crap loaded in)...truck pulled it down the road like a dream.

Attachments

• CAM00784.jpg
    CAM00784.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
placidoert

Members online