So what did you do with your truck today?

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve been using the step bits on steel and to drill the frame. Goes a lot faster it seems and easier to get it where you want. Can always finish it with a regular bit.
Can you use step with air drill? I thought they were only for a press

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Didn't do it today (had to sleep so I can work tonight) but did yesterday: new radiator in, all new heater/rad hoses. New tranny cooler installed but not plumbed yet. Cleaned crap load of old oil off, but not all still need some for sealing leaks hahahahah..

Next up pull the turbo for some new seals, run new tranny lines and button up the tranny work so I can get her back on the road.... 6 months is waaaaayyyy tttooooooo loooonnnnngggg... I fully expect to loose 3 to 4 quarts of oil the first 2 weeks I drive her.....

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
You can use them with any drill. I personally don't like them I'd rather just step up with regular bits but that's just me..
You sound like a old machinist. Lol are you?
I've used the step/uni bits. They do serve a purpose. I don't even have one anymore.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

nostrokes

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You sound like a old machinist. Lol are you?
I've used the step/uni bits. They do serve a purpose. I don't even have one anymore.

Hahaha.. older yes... Machinest well I'll just say I know how to operate laiths and mills but don't expect great things......
I grew up in a small farm town, where I still live... Learned most of my skills from my dad, who was a tool maker by the way, and my buddies dad, who was a old farm boy so I tend to lean hevily on the good ole fashion way of doing things...

ReticulateSplines

Reaction score
Well the last several weeks have been full of fun and excitement (sarcasm)...

After completely removing a "fuel system upgrade" and replacing the stock components the truck has been starting, idling and running great!

Then, a moron in a transportation appliance AKA Kia got impatient with someone in front of them and thought it would be a good idea to swerve out of his lane and into mine. No he did not check to see if it was clear to do so, and yes he regrets that decision. That poor lady in the passenger seat was visibly distraught, crying as she noticed her door would not open. It must have been loud - that piece of structural steel ripping their appliance open like a can of sardines. Luckily no physical injuries.

You must be registered for see images attach

catbird7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cab Swap update. Body Shop guys are doing a great job repairing rusted areas. Lots of sheet metal work!

crash-harris

Breaker! Breaker!
Reaction score
Cab Swap update. Body Shop guys are doing a great job repairing rusted areas. Lots of sheet metal work!

Genuinely curious how much that's costing you. They told me $2k to do just the driver's outer floor, inner rocker, cab and bushing support and replace all 4 bushings...with bringing them the patch panels and the bushings.

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Airbags in. Hoping this helps when hauling my camper. Also have been lightening camper as much as possible while renovating it.

During install noticed wheel seals leaking so now just waiting on bearings, seals, shoes.

Next are:
my goofy mirrors
Steering shock (can finally install now that I repaired death wobble!!)
Electric fuel pump
Headlight relays

Have had a lot of customer work so I was excited to have a few days in a row to do something fun and long long overdue!

I promised the little plow truck (a 94 explorer) that if it behaved all winter I would begin to do the long list of repairs it needs.

My minivan needs maintenance work as well as my husband's NONJEEP truck. But that is if the TDI stays on the road more than a week haha

Writing all these honey-do's just gave me a headache haha

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these spot welds or rivets? Or something else?

Does the new sheet metal overlap with the new or butted end to end?

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Steering shock (can finally install now that I repaired death wobble!!)

I think I'm in love. [emoji7] lol if only everybody else understood this. I see people all the time "just put a steering stabilizer on."

Those should be overlap and spot welds. (No reason to grind off paint for a rivet)