So what did you do with your truck today?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May need to adjust it up in the middle. The adjuster is on the drivers side outside the frame rail.

Mine does not have an adjuster, just the equalizer plate. From what I've read the pedal mechanism is supposed to self-adjust, and like everything else brake-related, "self-adjust" is an oxymoron.

Anyhow, the rear brakes were way out of adjustment. Have more parking (and service brake) pedal but still completely ineffective. So I jacked it up and pulled the rear wheels. Thank goodness for outboard brake drums - glad it's not a Dana!

Both sides were very obviously soaked in gear grease and the left one was missing the self-adjuster entirely (other than a stump of broken cable at the top) so nothing was keeping its star wheel from rotating freely...
-cuss

Also this afternoon, I drilled and tapped the front diff housing for a 1/4" NPT drain plug. If you time it right, there's just enough gear oil dripping out to lube the tap ;) Then I flushed out any chips that might have been lurking, put the new plug in and filled it up with 2 qts of lube.

Just spent over $200 on new drums, shoes, axle seals and a left-side adjuster. The remaining hardware looks pretty new, as does the lining thickness - too bad the previous "mechanic" didn't bother changing the axle seals! cookoo

Anyone know which axle nut socket I need? O'Reilly and Autozone have many different ones and (of course) they haven't the faintest idea of which one to rent or sell me, as usual :flipa

pelky350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got "new" floor material, all badges and grill emblem, dipstick that's not falling apart/leaking and a bunch of missing clip screw things for the grill and surrounding trim from salvage yard today for 30$. Hosed it off some before I store it/ let dry out and will be replacing my crumbling current flooring along with a thourough cleaning and rust killing primer the metal floor inside also soon.

You must be registered for see images attach

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fun day (not)... ran into town after identifying the axle nut socket I needed. O'Reilly had it for $17. I disassembled everything on the left side, changed the hub seal, then started scraping and cleaning a LOT of really black gear grease from everything. I discovered that the anchor pin plate had been split and yanked off (instead of unscrewing the nut behind the backing plate to remove the pin) and crushed back into place, so I'm going to have to find or make a properly sized washer and weld/press it on the pin. cookoo

Also the axle housing surface (where the seal rides) had a lot of baked-on carbon and fuzz rust. I used brake cleaner and 600 grit sandpaper to remove it, then polished with a Scotchbrite wheel. The hub had been changed at some point since it's red and the others are gray... apparently they didn't clean the sealing surface much, and maybe didn't even put a new seal in!

So... I started reassembling and couldn't get the parking brake lever over the pin. Just as well since it has to come off if I don't want to tack-weld in place... I found that the parking brake cable was completely frozen, at least on the left side. Back to O'Reilly, got both cables and a couple of axle flange gaskets (previous "mechanic" had just glopped RTV everywhere). Now it's started raining again, and will continue right through Wed. night if not Thurs. morning :( Truck is outside of course.

Thewespaul

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fun day (not)... ran into town after identifying the axle nut socket I needed. O'Reilly had it for $17. I disassembled everything on the left side, changed the hub seal, then started scraping and cleaning a LOT of really black gear grease from everything. I discovered that the anchor pin plate had been split and yanked off (instead of unscrewing the nut behind the backing plate to remove the pin) and crushed back into place, so I'm going to have to find or make a properly sized washer and weld/press it on the pin. cookoo

Also the axle housing surface (where the seal rides) had a lot of baked-on carbon and fuzz rust. I used brake cleaner and 600 grit sandpaper to remove it, then polished with a Scotchbrite wheel. The hub had been changed at some point since it's red and the others are gray... apparently they didn't clean the sealing surface much, and maybe didn't even put a new seal in!

So... I started reassembling and couldn't get the parking brake lever over the pin. Just as well since it has to come off if I don't want to tack-weld in place... I found that the parking brake cable was completely frozen, at least on the left side. Back to O'Reilly, got both cables and a couple of axle flange gaskets (previous "mechanic" had just glopped RTV everywhere). Now it's started raining again, and will continue right through Wed. night if not Thurs. morning :( Truck is outside of course.
Don’t you love old trucks?

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I went back to O'Reilly (for the third time so far on this brake job) and bought wheel cylinders and new hard lines. While it's all apart, might as well do everything especially as I found some mud and water inside the rubber end caps on the left.

Then I just looked out the living room window periodically and watched the rain falling on it! It's been the wettest Feb. on record for southern Mo. :( Allegedly clearing tomorrow morning. Time to get back to work on it!

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was outside all day... started out cloudy and windy, but sunshine and warm(er) as the day progressed. I finally got the truck back together - basically everything down to the bare spindles in the rear is now new (drums, shoes, wheel cylinders, steel brake lines which I had to cut, flare and bend, parking brake cables AND axle oil seals. I continue to be surprised at how readily available and cheap the parts are for this '93 F250. I don't think I even spent more than $250.:cheers:

Now to figure out how to reset the self-adjusting mechanism in the parking brake pedal. The new cables are about 2-3" too short to connect! That's a job for tomorrow.

Edit: I knew I'd read about this somewhere! :Thumbs Up

https://www.oilburners.net/threads/...ybe-a-cure-for-your-weak-parking-brake.65607/

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Brake pedal softer than I like, so I bled all four corners (only a little air bubble from the right rear). Then I tackled the parking brake cables... I did have to remove the plastic "wedge" and of course it crumbled. Dismounted the pedal (only three nuts), figured out where to disengage the pawl and crank the auto-tensioner around with a screwdriver. After some struggle (and loosening the left rear brake several star-wheel clicks) I got both cables on :cool

After several "back up fast and slam on the brakes" passes, the brakes work fine, if still a little soft at the pedal. Probably time to replace all the flex hoses and maybe the master cylinder. The master has the Ford logo and 1-1/8" marked on it - it may be original from 1993! cookoo

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
My 94 didn't have the wedge. Always held no problem though. Lol
While you're at it, go ahead and manually adjust the rears.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The self-adjusters are lubed and turn super easy... I expect them to work as designed, at least for the next couple months until everything corrodes :D Then it's back to manual adjustment!

While bleeding the fronts, I noticed that my front main seal appears to be leaking a little (old caked grease on the cover in all directions, and just a trace of oil coming from the seal down to the bottom of the pan). I got the last National speedi-sleeve for $12.94 from Rock Auto (and ordered a seal too). Will tackle that someday when it leaks enough to leave a drip on the driveway ;)

Jason1377

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Finally got my girl aka brown beast 93 2wd idi back after long eBay way had gp's changed wire harness fender salnoid oil change fuel filter.

Next is new set of batteries
Windshield
Fix light in original radio
New tires maybe more aggressive
Find a place to fix fiber glass on camper shell

Danielle

No, it's not finished
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got one airbag in... My arms are killing me from drilling haha.

Need to learn how to sharpen drill bits.

Also need to work out my arms more, but I don't want to look like a dude [emoji28]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

DrCharles

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unless you're taking male hormones, you won't look like one ;) It's OK for girls to have muscles too!

I put all the parts in a box (three flexible brake lines, front crank seal and speedi-sleeve, two Scotseals for the rear in case the recent conventional seals are leaking, a 25' reel each of 3/8" and 5/16" diesel-rated fuel hose)... looked at the cloudy windy chilly day, and decided I was too tired after driving 400 miles in the car yesterday :D

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got one airbag in... My arms are killing me from drilling haha.

Need to learn how to sharpen drill bits.

Also need to work out my arms more, but I don't want to look like a dude [emoji28]

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk
I’ve been using the step bits on steel and to drill the frame. Goes a lot faster it seems and easier to get it where you want. Can always finish it with a regular bit.