So what did you do with your truck today?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
-removed cargo from the bed
-removed receiver
-locked toolbox
-lowered CB antenna
-removed keys from ignition
-locked doors

Introduced the truck to some inner city life today.
You must be registered for see images

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

She kinda sticks out a little.

upstate6.9

Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Just scraped the driveway before it turned into an ice rink

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I finally got to drive my truck today! That last heater hose put up a good fight but it eventually came off, I put the new clamp so that it should be easier to get to next time around. So far so good, the Chinese Autozone radiator seems to be holding water without any leaks, let's see how long that lasts. Installed @ 308,300 miles, if it lasts until 400k I'll be a happy man.

joel1847

Reaction score
Which radiator did you get? Mine is leaking and I know that aluminum has a better heat conductivity, but the plastic tanks freak me out. The copper brass ones run close to 4 bills.

Joel
norcal

Golden Helmet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Which radiator did you get? Mine is leaking and I know that aluminum has a better heat conductivity, but the plastic tanks freak me out. The copper brass ones run close to 4 bills.

Joel
norcal
I got the Spectra plastic / aluminum one from Autozone. I wanted to get a Champion radiator, but they're out of stock everywhere I looked. At least the Spectra one has a "limited" lifetime warranty and you can get a new one at any Autozone, instead of dealing with shipping radiators back and forth, waiting on their replies, etc etc.

The build quality didn't feel too bad though, and it dropped right in without any modifications at all. It's only a 2-core radiator, but the cores are pretty beefy (of course I forgot to get pics of that). I doubt this radiator is gonna last 300k like the old one, but only time will tell. When it inevitably blows up on me, I'll be sure to follow up with a lot of ******** and moaning :angel:

Here's a few pics for ya:

Also, here's a tip: see the little rubber cap where the lower radiator hose is supposed to go? Turns out that it's a lot easier to get the hose on if you remove that plug first. Took me 10 minutes to figure out why I couldn't get the damn thing on :rotflmao

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
3 failed Spectra heater cores in 2 years... I won't be running one of their radiators. Champion seems like a good value, Rodney Red has a good reputation here for quality thought at a premium price.

FORDF250HDXLT

The life of an Indian is like the wings of the air
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, here's a tip: see the little rubber cap where the lower radiator hose is supposed to go? Turns out that it's a lot easier to get the hose on if you remove that plug first. Took me 10 minutes to figure out why I couldn't get the damn thing on :rotflmao

you got lucky it didn't fit.that would of blocked off the coolant and your truck would of over heated.
your doing good at becoming your own shade tree mechanic.your no longer afraid to get in there and figure it out.;Sweet
some day you'll look back at things you did and think,what was i thinking? but when ya don't know at first,you got to start somewhere.good job brother.

3 failed Spectra heater cores in 2 years... I won't be running one of their radiators. Champion seems like a good value, Rodney Red has a good reputation here for quality thought at a premium price.

man.just when i think im gunna go ahead and try autozones, someone has to post stuff like this.come on man lol.
i dunno what to do.i like the grabbing it local idea with lifetime warranty.
the replacement ready rad copper/brass didn't last.
Mac over on FTE had the champion rad fail and when trying to get a warranty,it was something silly with restocking fee,then you ship it,they need to approve the warranty,your out the shipping approved or not and i dunno how they handle the shipping of the replacement.i don't recall all the details exactly but anyway in the end,he pointed out the warranty basically means nothing.
but i suppose what does that even all matter anyway? lets say they did honor their product and it cost nothing.a no hassle warranty.what then anyway? still not a good option for a commercially used truck.i can't have the downtime during work season.a few hours sucks,a day or no is a no go anyway.
Rodney Red yeah sure if your made of money lol.what do those run now? last we heard was upwards of $700+? probably nearing closer to a grand by now due to inflation?

due to being unable to decide i just keep topping up my leaky one.:rotflmao
you know,if i could find a good used OEM around,id just go that route.hardly any of these old trucks around here on the road anymore.let alone diesel versions of them.

Last edited:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
I know man, for some of the more expensive parts options are limited. My guess is over the years few people are willing to pay a bit more for a better part so they stop making anything but the cheapest and you're left with that or an expensive or time consuming custom job. I guess the trend is rather than spend $100 more for parts that work and last they spend $40k more on a new truck. Radiators are one of those parts that all the big manufacturers seem to cheap out on.

MTKirk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Plowed some snow drifts today, got a little payback on all the dang parts I've been throwing at my truck lately!!

With the new injection pump & injectors the truck now has enough power to easily trip the springs on my blade (a new experience at anything below ramming speed)!

Without the dang clutched fan I was able to keep it hot enough to burn free veggie oil while plowing, so no fuel bill!

All in all, a really good day with the truck, now if I can just get my mo%$ther fu&*in' fan controller to work!

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Installed a Tekonsha P3 and redid all the trailer wiring today. I'm planning on getting a 5th wheel when I find something that is cheap and is worth the money. Just need to figure out why my backup lights aren't working...