So what are these trucks really worth?

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
The prices im seeing you guys list seem ridiculous to me... Are they really worth that much? I paid 1500 for my first one and 500 for the one I drive now.
IMO an "average" srw 350 4wd(60 front) with manual trans would only be like 2k at most. Damn... Maybe I should fix mine up and sell it to one of you guys

Was this before or after cash for clinkers? That ****** waste of your money to buy perfectly good vehicles and destroy them quadrupled the price of old cars and trucks. Prior to that '80-'91 trucks were ubiquitous, you'd see dozens every day. After that I hardly see any, and see fewer '92-'97 trucks. Before that you could go on Craigslist and find plenty of good running driving $500-$1000 trucks, afterwards there are very few in that range and they're closer to parts trucks than drivers. Last year on the drive home from picking up my '86 a guy at one of the toll booths was oggling my truck, all "Wow man, nice classic truck!". I didn't know what to say because to me an '86 truck seems pretty new and is "just a truck" to me. Also the fact that it took me 6 mos of searching and when I found one I was thrilled it was only a 300+ mile drive each way illustrates how uncommon they have become. Used to be you could hop on CL or eBay and find dozens for sale within an hour drive at any time, in addition to all that you saw in driveways and parking lots for sale.

The government artificially increased the value several times over and drastically reduced spare parts availability as well as new/aftermarket parts availability by artificially reducing the number on the road and hence demand for quality replacement parts. Prior to clinkers anything for our trucks was stocked on the shelf in any parts store, now it's at a warehouse and you gotta wait and of course since demand is lower your choices are China junk or NLA.

An average 350 would never sell for $2k anymore unless it's very rotted out. $2k is on the cusp of part out vs sell whole. The D60 is $700-$1k alone. If that manual trans is a ZF5 there's $600+, 6.9/7.3 probably $500 and if turbo that'll part out separate for $500-$800. If bed is not rotted there's a few hundred. Sterling $200, Dash if tach $100, NP208 $50 or BW1356 $75-$100, etc... Nobody sells 'em cheap anymore as so many good parts were destroyed and now there is far less supply than demand.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last week I thought mine was sold for $4500 (his offer) turns out he's one of those guys that likes to hear himself talk...you know the type.
Now I gotta spend a grand on front springs, four tires and a front end alignment...arrrrgh!

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
I bought the black one for 1500 last fall, the red one for 500 a month ago. I just don't see them being worth that much, but I'm a cheapass too.

crashnzuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Was this before or after cash for clinkers? That ****** waste of your money to buy perfectly good vehicles and destroy them quadrupled the price of old cars and trucks. Prior to that '80-'91 trucks were ubiquitous, you'd see dozens every day. After that I hardly see any, and see fewer '92-'97 trucks. Before that you could go on Craigslist and find plenty of good running driving $500-$1000 trucks, afterwards there are very few in that range and they're closer to parts trucks than drivers. Last year on the drive home from picking up my '86 a guy at one of the toll booths was oggling my truck, all "Wow man, nice classic truck!". I didn't know what to say because to me an '86 truck seems pretty new and is "just a truck" to me. Also the fact that it took me 6 mos of searching and when I found one I was thrilled it was only a 300+ mile drive each way illustrates how uncommon they have become. Used to be you could hop on CL or eBay and find dozens for sale within an hour drive at any time, in addition to all that you saw in driveways and parking lots for sale.

The government artificially increased the value several times over and drastically reduced spare parts availability as well as new/aftermarket parts availability by artificially reducing the number on the road and hence demand for quality replacement parts. Prior to clinkers anything for our trucks was stocked on the shelf in any parts store, now it's at a warehouse and you gotta wait and of course since demand is lower your choices are China junk or NLA.

An average 350 would never sell for $2k anymore unless it's very rotted out. $2k is on the cusp of part out vs sell whole. The D60 is $700-$1k alone. If that manual trans is a ZF5 there's $600+, 6.9/7.3 probably $500 and if turbo that'll part out separate for $500-$800. If bed is not rotted there's a few hundred. Sterling $200, Dash if tach $100, NP208 $50 or BW1356 $75-$100, etc... Nobody sells 'em cheap anymore as so many good parts were destroyed and now there is far less supply than demand.

There is that, but don't count out the fact that some of these things are at or approaching 30 years old and people just don't drive them anymore. Long before the clunker mess, parts stores weren't carrying much for my 60s-70s cars. The simple fact is that most people don't daily drive 20 plus year old vehicles anymore so they don't stock parts that don't sell.
Travis..

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Just checked the numbers from clinkers... 47,112 good running/driving '84-'97 full size Ford trucks destroyed with your tax dollars. If you include E series vans that number goes up to 56,079 good running driving Fords destroyed.

I'd be curious what '84-'97 full size truck production numbers are so we could know exactly what percentage of total production was destroyed. Could probably ballpark remaining on the road around '09 from general trend numbers across any vehicle to ballpark what percentage decline of remaining trucks were destroyed, then see how the decrease in supply compares to the increase in value over the past 5 years or so. Either way you slice it 47k or 56k of a specific type of vehicle gone in under a year is a huge reduction in supply which will push prices up significantly and rapidly as compared to normal reduction in supply from wrecks/accidents and parting out/scrapping which is a more slow and steady process at a declining rate as the vehicles get older.

1990idi

Reaction score
i paid 4500 for my 1990 rclb 4x4 7.3 e4od truck about 9 months ago with 60k on the clock. it had new injectors, batterys and belts at the time... oh and it looks like it just came off the show room floor.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The prices im seeing you guys list seem ridiculous to me... Are they really worth that much? I paid 1500 for my first one and 500 for the one I drive now.
IMO an "average" srw 350 4wd(60 front) with manual trans would only be like 2k at most. Damn... Maybe I should fix mine up and sell it to one of you guys

Lol, if you can get me a turbo CC 4x4 with a 5spd in the condition mine is for $2k, I will buy it today and sell mine tomorrow. :)

What condition was your truck in when you purchased it? Condition is the overwhelming motivator in determining the value of a vehicle. There are lots of trucks for $1000 - $1500 all over craigslist. But they are beat to hell and back. Blue smoking, hard shifting, no ac, dead cylinders, body damage, ragged interior, burnt wiring, mismatched parts, etc. I saw it all over the year I spent trying to find a solid truck in good condition.

If you took a $1000 truck, and replaced the interior with matching components so that you get a excellent result with no cracks, rips, and everything works, it will take time and money. After fixing the AC, pulling and floating all the dents, painting, replacing the inevitable bent tailgate and sagging doors, failing window motors, leaking oil cooler, main seals and clutch, you will have so much time and effort in the truck that at $3800 you will only walk away with really a $500 profit. It's not just the price of salvage parts, it's all the time and anguish involved with working on a 20yo truck that we're all familiar with. At least that's been my experience.

That's why no one fixes up a truck into that condition and then sells it for $2k.

HammerDown

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is that, but don't count out the fact that some of these things are at or approaching 30 years old and people just don't drive them anymore. Long before the clunker mess, parts stores weren't carrying much for my 60s-70s cars. The simple fact is that most people don't daily drive 20 plus year old vehicles anymore so they don't stock parts that don't sell.
Travis..
And that right there is what's really hurting me > because my ole truck is my daily driver :drunk:

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever had a daily driver less than 25 years old. In fact it has been closer to 40 yrs old usually. My criteria for vehicles is no electronic engine controls, no electronic comfort/luxuries (i.e. windows, locks, etc.), no emissions control equipment, and exempt from local communist laws regarding vehicle inspection. Here that effectively means 60s or older gas or 80s or older diesel.

ah1988ford

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just sold the truck in my sig and avatar for 4k.... they usually go for around 3k in my area. It was on craigslist for close to 3mos. before it sold... its just a waiting game.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
So, Id like to know what kind of price you guys think mine would be worth once its done...
83 RCLB, stock 85 6.9 with ATS 093 (3" DP, 3" side pipe), t19 with almost new clutch, mostly rust free cab (rear corners), bedlined floor, no headliner, perfect bench seat (no tears), rust free bed and fenders, DMI rear bumper, d50 front (60 swap eventually), BW Tcase, 85 10.25 w Disk swap, no AC, Crank windows, manual locks, dual tank, everything works. MisMatched paint once fenders and bed are swapped but may paint.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't think I've ever had a daily driver less than 25 years old. In fact it has been closer to 40 yrs old usually. My criteria for vehicles is no electronic engine controls, no electronic comfort/luxuries (i.e. windows, locks, etc.), no emissions control equipment, and exempt from local communist laws regarding vehicle inspection. Here that effectively means 60s or older gas or 80s or older diesel.

I know some people don't think electronics are reliable, but in my experience they are often the least troublesome part of a car. My DD is an 86 nissan that is loaded with electronics with 430k miles. They have all been solidly reliable.