So what are these trucks really worth?

ISELLTRUX

Cars and SUV's
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hadn't been able to sell my beast. If I had a nickel for every inquiry, I wouldn't have to sell it. Am I asking too much? I figured a nice one with cold A/C should bring 5k. Any ideas?

laserjock

Almost there...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it all depends on location. Some places, nice ones are easy to come by. Bring that truck in your sig from San Antonio to the north east and it's 5k all day long for a rust-free truck. I am really kicking myself for not realizing that sooner.

dunk

Dunce
Reaction score
Minimal rust, Dana 60, manual trans, SC or CC, turbo, I'd figure $4k-$6k. If good paint, not a bucket of bondo, great interior, no issues, etc. and meeting the first criteria I'd say $10k is the ceiling for a "perfect" truck that is done and needs nothing.

Slushbox, reg cab, 2wd, other undesirable config then maybe $1k-$2k if it's reliable and not totally rotted out or hacked together.

Just my opinion based on what I value in a truck along with prices I see on the east coast, TX trucks with no rust are probably dime a dozen so values are relative to region and how far from a given area finding a transporting a truck becomes more expensive than repairing what's available down the street.

Truck in your sig I'd value around $4k-ish. Subtracting for no turbo, TTB front, body style (I won't touch anything newer than '86), dually (don't need it), but adding some for presumably no rust and lift already done (assuming it's good parts, good geometry, and no blocks in rear). I've worked on one truck from out west and what a downright pleasant experience that was compared to a typical northeast rustbucket. You're looking at $2k-$3k for turbo and Dana 60. If the truck has a D60, add $1k and that's your $5k price.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Depends on where you are... I sold my bone stock RCLB 4x4 auto for $6,250. Original paint, A/C inop, oil pan gasket leaking, and transfer case making some noise. But, it was a nice clean truck :dunno

blacksmoke94

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I get at least a couple of people a month that ask if I want to sell mine. Never got down to any prices but that doesn't matter because there's no way I'm selling it. That's going to be my coffin. Save the family some money. :cheers: Your price seems very reasonable. Just gotta wait for the right buyer sometimes.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get at least a couple of people a month that ask if I want to sell mine.

I have a friend in So Cal that has offered to trade me for a 2005 Super duty CC 2x, or a 2006 Super duty SC 4x4. He says he is serious, but there is no way. I have a deep dislike for computerized vehicles. Especially since I recently read that some of the newer cars are "hackable" thru the bluetooth, etc. (I know those 2 trucks aren't likely in that club, but I just don't like dealing with the computers) No thanks. I like my old school, reliable truck. I would be surprised to see either of those on the road after 25+ years.

pickupman

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that in many instances trucks like ours are worth more to us that to anyone who might want to buy them. I regularly see people on craigslist trying to sell late 80's trucks in the $5k range. Those trucks also tend to be the ones still up for sale after 6 months.

I've seen a few trucks that will go for over $5k, but those one are usually ones like a pristine condition '94 factory turbo CC DRW. Other than that you'd be hard pressed to find a truck selling for that much unless the owner has put a whole lot of $$$ into it.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a friend in So Cal that has offered to trade me for a 2005 Super duty CC 2x, or a 2006 Super duty SC 4x4. He says he is serious, but there is no way. I have a deep dislike for computerized vehicles. Especially since I recently read that some of the newer cars are "hackable" thru the bluetooth, etc. (I know those 2 trucks aren't likely in that club, but I just don't like dealing with the computers) No thanks. I like my old school, reliable truck. I would be surprised to see either of those on the road after 25+ years.

Detroit launched it's 60 series electronic diesel engines in OTR trucks in 1987. Those damn things are still running with many over a million miles.

Computers and electronics are dead reliable. Emissions systems are not... No, it's not just nuts and bolts anymore but that is the world we live in. Adapt or get left behind. If one understands how they work electronics are not difficult to diagnose or repair.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hadn't been able to sell my beast. If I had a nickel for every inquiry, I wouldn't have to sell it. Am I asking too much? I figured a nice one with cold A/C should bring 5k. Any ideas?
i've found TX is a very fickle market for older trucks. Most people will buy new due to payments. and then they will proceed to kick the living dog poopoo out of the truck. note how many new pickups have destroyed beds in a period of a year or two. it's almost like it's intentionally done so they can get a flatbed put on. older trucks will sell if they are cheap. i'm of the opinion that noone in the rural areas have any savings to speak of. i'm able to get some very pricey items for near nothing just by simply having the cash on hand ready to go. it's a huge bargining point in TX.

Last edited by a moderator:

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
depends on where you live. a rusty one pn the east coast sells for $5k and nice ones on the wesy coast sell for $3k.i paid $3100+fees for mine with 59000 miles on it and i thought i overpaid.

Mulochico

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Detroit launched it's 60 series electronic diesel engines in OTR trucks in 1987. Those damn things are still running with many over a million miles.

Computers and electronics are dead reliable. Emissions systems are not... No, it's not just nuts and bolts anymore but that is the world we live in. Adapt or get left behind. If one understands how they work electronics are not difficult to diagnose or repair.

That is one persons opinion! I didn't say I couldn't or wouldn't, I said I have a deep dislike for them. I have the tools and expertise to work on my wife's, sons, and daughters cars, all of which are computer controlled to varying degrees.

By the way, comparing OTR truck to ours is a definite apples to oranges (I am a professional driver with over 30 yrs behind the wheel). I have driven many trucks with the Series 60 engine. Most have had computer problems that were not easy for the trained mechanics to figure out and caused downtime that was ridiculous.

Since this has very little to do with the original post, I am done with this line of comment.

firehawk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've found TX is a very fickle market for older trucks. Most people will buy new due to payments. and then they will proceed to kick the living dog poopoo out of the truck. note how many new pickups have destroyed beds in a period of a year or two. it's almost like it's intentionally done so they can get a flatbed put on. older trucks will sell if they are cheap. i'm of the opinion that noone in the rural areas have any savings to speak of. i'm able to get some very pricey items for near nothing just by simply having the cash on hand ready to go. it's a huge bargining point in TX.

Agreed, but its not just rural areas. People everywhere seem to have no savings and and will sell valuable things at a fraction of their worth when they need money.

As to the OP, too many of these same people look at how much the can afford to pay a month rather than buy something outright. Also, your truck is too old for most people to even consider it for regular use. I hate to admit it, but a newer truck is better in almost every way.

needlenose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FWIW, I live 5 hours north of you and I just paid $3800 for the 94 CC F350 in my signature. It has a few hail dings and a couple of small scratches in the original paint. Other than that, there is nothing cosmetically or structurally wrong with the truck. No rust to speak of, no cracks in the dash, and no rips in the seats. The doors all shut great, nothing leaks, and everything works. I did have a tiny leak at the PS pump when I got it, but I just tightened a fitting and it stopped.

When I got it the injectors were on their last legs, so $350 later that's all done. But I didn't know that when I bought it, it seemed to be running fine.

The guy I bought it from had it for sale for 5 months at $4k. I got him down a little, but the truck was too nice; he was just going to keep it. No one wanted it because it wasn't a PSD. I only wanted it because it has no computer to do a 12v swap.

89Laredo

Underemployed
Reaction score
The prices im seeing you guys list seem ridiculous to me... Are they really worth that much? I paid 1500 for my first one and 500 for the one I drive now.
IMO an "average" srw 350 4wd(60 front) with manual trans would only be like 2k at most. Damn... Maybe I should fix mine up and sell it to one of you guys

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online