So THIS is where all the SoCal IDI guys hang out........

Reaction score
Hey all! 'Nother FNG here just saying hi. Bought my first diesel back in February, and have been pouring over forums non-stop to get myself acquainted with both the IDI and diesels in general. That's not to say I'm green on the entire truck. This makes my 3rd bricknose, 4th Ford truck, and 6th Ford overall with plenty of others in the family over the years. It's been a lot of fun messing around with this one so far, especially since the engine bay is a lot less of an emissions basketcase than my last two gasser bricknoses. A list of the work done so far:

Tires
Fuel line return kit (twice)
Batteries
Line-X
Stereo
LMI Hi-Boy kit
GPs
Belts
Hoses
Fluids
Headlight relay kit
Boost and EGT gauge
Ford OE aluminum finned diff cover
Coolant flush to swap in Fleet Charge
AC re-charged
New clutch slave cylinder

Huh. First time I listed everything out since I bought it. No wonder the wife complains I spend too much on it, lol. Other than getting the timing dialed in and maybe dialing back the IP a bit (higher EGTs than I'd like when heading up a hill with a load in the back), she's good to go. Plans don't include much. I just like having an old reliable truck laying around and don't have much of a need/desire for something lifted or a towing monster. To be honest, a diesel is really overkill for me, but not having to deal with smog was a HUGE selling point. :sly Plus it's fun to have a new challenge. I've even got the wife thinking of a TDI now for her next vehicle (vs some kind of Hybrid. Thank God).

And now, some pics. Here's how she looked the day I brought her home. Typical old man's truck, but that's the way I like to buy 'em:

You must be registered for see images attach

I really liked the look with the shell, to be honest, but the main use for the truck is to haul some motorcycles to the track, so off it came. And while the running boards were really cool (still have them and will give them away for free, btw), at 6'7" they were mostly unnecessary for me and got in the way, so off they came as well.

More or less how she sits now, though this is before Line-X:

The interior is about as cherry as you'll find a 21+ yr old truck, with the only modifications being an EGT gauge (which didn't work when I bought it. Had to replace the thermocouple) and a tow brake controller. I've since added a boost gauge next to the EGT gauge as well as added a simple head unit to bring the stereo into this decade/century.

And lastly, a pic of it loaded up with about as much as I ever plan to do with it, though who knows. Maybe a trailer will be in the works some day when I have some lil ones running around:

I'm a member over on FTE, but saw a lot of people constantly pointing folks over here. And once I saw that there seems to be a lot more SoCal folks active over here, I had to join! Here's hoping I get the chance to meet some of you at some time in the future, perhaps for some assistance with checking and setting timing? LOL

Mike

Last edited:

X-NRCan_IDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not a huge fan of bricknoses; I prefer the OBS... but this looks good! Nice and clean... don't see much around here like that.

160k87F250

not rocket science
Reaction score
Welcome!! Nice truck. Reminds me of my old truck. (wish I kept it) 87 F250, sc longbed, 6.9, c6, 3.55, 2wd.

John

Ididriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice looking truck there. I guess I'm partial to the brick nose trucks because I own one LOl
What's the lmi hi boy kit?

jaluhn83

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice rig. I've got a timing setup if you want to check your timing. Does it have the turbo or just the banks gauges on there?
~John

Reaction score
Nice looking truck there. I guess I'm partial to the brick nose trucks because I own one LOl
What's the lmi hi boy kit?

http://www.lmiwelding.com/highrider.htm

Sorry. It's called the 'High Rider' kit. My bad. Raises the rear seat a few inches. It gives me the ability to store a few things under the seat as well as gives the rear passenger a bit more comfortable seating position.

I've always had a soft spot for the bricknoses because my dad had one when we were kids. It was his first brand new vehicle. Always felt bad that he had to get rid of it when I got a wee bit too tall for the back seat. Guess that's why I got the LMI kit, lol.

Mike

Reaction score
Nice rig. I've got a timing setup if you want to check your timing. Does it have the turbo or just the banks gauges on there?
~John

Thanks! It has the Banks Sidewinder kit on it, including exhaust. Non wastegated turbo.

I'll definitely take you up on the timing offer as well, just as soon as I can find some free time.

Mike

Devon Harley

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi mike nice to see another sd guy on here. if you ever wanna meet up an check out trucks or bs about them. pm me maybe we can meet up.

justinray

Contributor
Reaction score
On the LMI, did you do it yourself? I've never seen such a kit and it looks really appealing. How easy was the install?

Reaction score
Still sold new, though I recommend ordering it over the phone. The website is pretty clunky and they ended up losing my order, so I had to call. Install is real easy. Put it this way, if I could do it, anyone could. Complete bolt-in job with no drilling or cutting required, though a bit of a back breaker for someone of my size because you have to crawl in and out of the back so much. Took about 2 hours, and that was with a good amount of time scrubbing and vacuuming the carpet under the seat once it was out. I'd also recommend upgrading the hardware. I thought the stuff it came with was a little cheap. Only special tool needed was a large torx bit for the seatbelts (T50 IIRC).

I've been told JCWhitney and the like carry similar kits as well.

Mike

Reaction score
Hi mike nice to see another sd guy on here. if you ever wanna meet up an check out trucks or bs about them. pm me maybe we can meet up.

Sounds good! Saw a thread you guys had a while back for a SD get together. Just remember to hit me up the next time you guys do something similar.

Mike

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lewisstevey7