SO STUPID

dieselviznince

Escanaba MICHIGAN
Reaction score
I got my truck running sunday but not a good thing would not rev past 2000 and when in gear would anly do 15 mph, smoked like oil wells burning in my truck-Flame Thr . Wish I had video:rotflmao . Im only in this cause I took my I pump off and did not take three 5/16 12 point bolts out of the timing gear cause I thought I needed a gear puller:frustrate . So now I took pump off again and tryin to figure out how to see the timing mark on the gear under the pump gear, not easy tried to use a old mirror but once down not enough clearance to shine a light and still get a good look so useless idea there. Man I hate this. My friend has a pump used but I still dont know how get my timming back:cheers: . Unless I do the hand crank engine thing and listen for the cylinder behind the grille on the drivers side to decompress or something.

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup. There are also articles here (like the one in my sig) that explain how to properly remove an IP so you don't make this kind of mistake. :rolleyes:

Mr_Roboto

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easy way. The truck does run, so you are most likely 2 to 4 teeth off. One tooth off you would still be able to time close enough to run OK. (my truck was one tooth off till yesterday).

All you have to do is unbolt the tower and move the teeth until you have it right. Start with two teeth over then one at a time. You shouldn't have to take the lines off just to lift the tower up a little to move the gear.

Once you have the gears lined up right, mark where the dowel points in the opening. Then you can take off the tower to re-seal it and reinstall it with the dowel pointing towards the mark.

To retard the timing, move the GEAR counterclockwise (facing the front of the gear). To advance the timing, move the GEAR clockwise.

(I just noticed that you took the pump off AGAIN so this may not work if you have turned the gear).

You CAN do the IP by removing the tower. I did this once in a van because they are so tight up front. You just have to mark the position of the gear / dowel.