So I find my $40 monthly oil leak

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The other morning I check my oil level, Yikes! low!
So I add, I know it has been leaking but fuel or oil I was not sure.
So in the past I saw that the oil filter was wet with oil.

The rest of the engine on the drivers side is dry.
The passenger side wet with WMO fuel, No biggie.

So last night I pressure wash and search for this oil leak'
Low and behold the oil cooler is seeping oil out while it runs.
Ever so slightly yet it drips out the cooler along the cooler end
and down the oil filter, Just ***! I put new seals used a lot of trans
grease and the cooler slipped together perfectly,

So I guess I have to do it all over again. My truck loves me :backoff

Javier

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Try and make up some plates to air test th ecooler before you install it again. Thats the only true way to know its not a leaker. Thats and buying the correct o-rings from someone that knows the correct colors. Typ4 knows and sells them. So does Mel aka agnem of Conestoga Diesel.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well I had a Victor Reinz kit that had 8 total O-rings 4 fit and 4 no way.
It seeps ever so slightly but when it started, not sure, it has a total of 16,000
miles so far, I just have to get ready to take it all down, never done one in the chassis yet :eek:

Javier

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
I just did one. I unbolted the drivers side engine mount and lifted the engine enough to roll the cooler out. Took the fan off to so it wouldn't hit the shroud.
Be carefull not to nick the gaskets on the way back in, thats just what I did and had to do it all over.

typ4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did your kit have a black one in it for the oil ring, if so thats the problem, anyway you can remove the rear header and slip the bundle out of the front one, Ive done several and its cake, 2 or 4 wd, some well placed pieces of wood and a pry bar , and the cooler will slip right together.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
What Russ has posted about leaving the front header on the engine has worked for several members here for many years. I have never done a cooler when the engine is in the rigs but have done them several times with the engine on a stand. Also as Russ pointed out. The color of the rings makes a big differance. He has the right orings too.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I believe the green and black is what you want but please ask Russ aka typ4. I'm not the expert on those.

idiabuse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did your kit have a black one in it for the oil ring, if so thats the problem, anyway you can remove the rear header and slip the bundle out of the front one, Ive done several and its cake, 2 or 4 wd, some well placed pieces of wood and a pry bar , and the cooler will slip right together.

Now that sounds doable! thanks for the weight removal off my back! Of course my truck has gave me more honey do list, It chucked out the driveshaft again tonight, So looks like I will have a lot of quality time with her in the near future. Time for a new yoke, I just scored a dually disc rear for $100 so a Swap is in the makings...

Javier

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
olsen726

Members online