So have I made a terrible mistake?

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, it will shut down for example if your HPFP is compromised. I can't imagine why you would want it to run in that condition though, unless $10-15k repairs are your thing.

I assume your referring to the 6.7, 6.4 trucks? I know nothing of the 6.7s but have had a whole heap of unwanted experience with the maxxforce 7 (aka 6.4 powerstroke) and they will run with compromised pumps, but quite poorly. Also I had a maxxforce 7 run away in a UPS truck a few months back, that was fun, it had a reman high pump, and I think that something mechanical failed in it, and full bored the fuel commands.

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sorry to revive an old thread but it's been a year so & I'm the OP so I thought I'd give an update. I did make a mistake buying this truck. If I had known then what I know now I would not have bought this particular truck, but I'm fine with a 6.0 in general.

The first issue was with the IPR - I paid the local Ford dealer $700 to fix it and that is the only time it will ever darken their door. So far I have had to replace the EGR cooler with the lifetime guaranteed one from Bulletproof Diesel. Since I was sending them money and had the truck that far apart I purchased the external oil cooler as well, about $2k for the whole deal. I did the work myself and it was easy enough. I cut my old oil cooler in two with a sawsall and it was clean inside, no sediment or sludge. Probably money wasted but I'll never have to worry about that problem.

While the truck was apart I found out the FICM was a BDP aftermarket one put in by the previous owner so I figure it should last. They seem to have a good reputation. The only negative comments I could find about them was the cost of their parts.

I had to buy batteries. That is expected with a used vehicle.

I had to do a complete brake job including new calipers because I could not get the pistons to retract. I've never seen calipers in that bad of shape.

The ICP sensor failed and was replaced, as well as the EGR valve. I need a new CAC boot and I'm going to get one, someday...

My truck is a cab-n-chassis with the rear of axle steel tank. The aluminum paint used to line the tank delaminated so I had to replace the fuel tank. I put in a poly tank so I won't have that problem again. Lastly I replaced the fuel pump, apparently it doesn't like to suck aluminum particles. I've put in the blue spring for the fuel pressure regulator.

I have a weird issue with the cruise control - it only works for about 30 minutes a day unless it's cold then it lasts longer. I have no idea what that is about so I just do without. It's not the VSS because the speedo works and there is no ABS light, it's not the clutch switch or the brake switch because everything else associated with those two items works, plus I replaced them anyway. The clock spring is fine because everything else associated with it works. It's predictable with little variation and the cruise is mearly a function of the PCM, there are no cruise control parts like on the IDI.

Oil changes are expensive. Four gallons of oil, and it has to be good oil or it will run terrible. OEM filters since it's a patented design and aftermaket ones won't perform properly.

So, hind sight being 20/20, read up on these, monitor everything before doing the deal. If the seller won't let you do a test drive - a real test drive, not just around the block, move on somewhere else.

All that being said, and after I did all this work I am happy and I don't think I'll have any more problems for a while...

FordGuy100

Reaction score
Doesn't your BPD oil cooler come with the oil filter that sits behind the bumper? Mine does, makes it a little cheaper.

I do hear you on them. It costs a lot to get a 6.0 into good spec, same thing I have ran into with ours.

Lets see, EGR cooler failed, EGR deleted the next day.
FICM was going bad so repaired, then got a hand me down BPD 6 phase FICM (Beta test) that failed and fried logic board, bought used FICM, got BPD to give me a new 6 phase power side.
HPOP lost the ball bearing in the side which caused the low oil pressure at idle (low oil pressure bypassing HPOP). Just had to pull apart and tap for pipe plug
Oil cooler clogging, found a used BPD oil cooler kit.
Set of batteries, had a bad battery drain (almost 1 amp), turned out to be the factory 6 disc head unit, replaced with used ebay ($40 shipped) all good

Thats it for me.

I have two glow plug codes that need sorted out. Front end is semi loose, so I'm going to start getting 4wd parts from a 05+ superduty (coil front) to convert. PO drove around with hand on the shift lever so its loose as a goose, and the cable to move the shift indicator broke in half, so its stuck on "1st."

Last edited:

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went with the one that uses the OEM filter, I don't remember why. Anyhow, best money I have spent even if it was good money after bad. Doesn't matter, I'm need this truck to last me just 5 more years then I'll get something new cause I'll be retired and I'll need something for traveling.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I will be buying a 6.0 at some point, only because so many people hate them. I still prefer idi over all. If my idi blows up I think I may try and dig up a wrecked lb7 chevy and get to swappin ;Sweet

rjglenn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a quick update. I'd burn this thing down if I thought I could get away with it...

Since my last post, new batteries, a new FICM, a new injector harness, a new alternator, replaced the snap to connect fitting (what moron thought it would be a good idea to use a plastic ring to hold a 4000 psi oil fitting together), I have a CAN bus communication error, the speedometer doesn't work and the ABS light it on, I've investigated that thoroughly including trying a different ABS computer and cluster and it still doesn't work so I'm thinking I have a harness issue, and I need 4 injectors. I hate this truck and I'd love to sell it but who's gonna buy it with all these issues?

whitehorse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True true....upkeep is the key on the 6.0s and doesn't sound like the po done that...my friend has a 06 amirillo 250 the bright yellow one....when he bought it the po had 5k in the engine so he hasn't had a problem yet....

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
True true....upkeep is the key on the 6.0s and doesn't sound like the po done that...my friend has a 06 amirillo 250 the bright yellow one....when he bought it the po had 5k in the engine so he hasn't had a problem yet....

No truer statement. Maintenance, proper routine maintenance is PARAMOUNT on a 6.0. Mine gets done ON TIME, PERIOD. I will let the maintenance slip on my 300,000 mile Jetta or the gasser car, but I will eat Ramen and Mac and Cheese to be sure I get the filters and oil changed out on time. Also use only OEM filters (Racor, IH, or Motorcraft, I also have verified the fleetguard filter is the exact same filter as OEM, all are made by RACOR). Also, 5000 miles on the oil, 10,000 on the fuel filters. I recommend a high quality FULL SYNTHETIC oil for the 6.0, my current oil, and the last several changed have been Chevron Delo 5w-40 full synthetic, and the truck really likes it. Helps to combat the stiction, and I get a slight boost in economy. Also, use ONLY pump diesel from a station that sells good fuel, at a high turnover on fuel. Maintenance and NO TUNER has kept my truck happy for 155,000 miles, with the factory turbo, head gaskets, injectors. The only engine part that has been replaced is a water pump, and I did an EGR Delete due to a supply hose leak, the EGR Cooler did not fail. I had to replace the alternator and have the FICM repaired due to low voltage from the bad alternator.......

Once you get all the bugs worked out, it should serve you for a long time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ramtough01

Members online