So have I made a terrible mistake?

snicklas

6.0 and Loving It!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah that's the one. Egr cooler didn't have to come off for it.

I think it was one of the best things I have done for the health of my 6.0. Keeping that heat out of the coolant is a good thing. The only drawback that I have seen is it takes longer for the heat to work, since the exhaust heat is going out the pipe instead of into the coolant. I just plug it in, so I have heat when I start the truck.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
My brother inlaw bought a 06 and to get it right he spent 3 grand but since then it has been good from 30 thou to 180 thou so they can be fixed. He is going with gas next because he has heard the same thing I have that $ for $ the new gasser are cheaper to operate.

If he kind find a low mileage 7.3 PS he will do that but other than that he has had enough of the new diesels, this truck really pissed him off in the beginning and he does not trust the new technology. He pulls 10 thou on occasion so a good size gas will be fine for him.

I am in Gainesville, you are in a great area for used trucks, good luck.

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas is now the same price as high test . It was way different when diesel was like 1.50 and gas was over 2 a gallon. So with the price of diesel the same as gas, and only slightly better mpg or in some cases the same mpg, gas motors with less expensive service to maintain the truck, kind of make having a diesel a luxury or power choice.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Gas is now the same price as high test . It was way different when diesel was like 1.50 and gas was over 2 a gallon. So with the price of diesel the same as gas, and only slightly better mpg or in some cases the same mpg, gas motors with less expensive service to maintain the truck, kind of make having a diesel a luxury or power choice.

That is the thing the Techs were telling me, unless you pull heavy all the time newer diesels do not make much sense. Every mechanic told me the new small truck diesels were more trouble than they were worth, EVERY ONE! Same thing, to much $$$$! not real cost effective for the working man.

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is the thing the Techs were telling me, unless you pull heavy all the time newer diesels do not make much sense. Every mechanic told me the new small truck diesels were more trouble than they were worth, EVERY ONE! Same thing, to much $$$$! not real cost effective for the working man.

Seems to me like there have been a few on here that told you other wise but apparently they don't count... cookoo If you're convinced that they're so bad just don't buy one :dunno

Last edited:

ZWilson07

Cowboy
Reaction score
Seems to me like there have been a few on here that told you other wise but apparently they don't count... cookoo If you're convinced that they're so bad just don't buy one :dunno

How many different threads has this been? I literally see a post about them from him and wait for you to come in and reply with quote :rotflmao

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many different threads has this been? I literally see a post about them from him and wait for you to come in and reply with quote :rotflmao

:rotflmao I think you're right actually... :cool Now we wait for him to call me a secret agent of the British Empire. I think this has actually only been in two (Maybe, maybe three) threads now... It just seems like more ;Really

Anyway, I'm out... Internet arguing is exhausting :sucks

Last edited:

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score

I see what they bring and the prices are right, buy one on price merit alone. You can steal a 6.0. Even the dealers give them away because otherwise most people will not buy them even though they can be made good.

It is just these days gas may make more sense for some but not all.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
There is a 1995 PS engine and tranny for sale on Craigslist in Orlando if interested. 124000 miles

tbirdfiend281

Full Access Member
Reaction score

its true, like I said above. Cost wise it doesnt make sense. The only reason to have one is if you wanna be fast. I am over being fast, so I have me an IDI.

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
Just went down yesterday and had dinner with my stepbrother and did not realize he used to be a Ford tech and he told me once you fix the 6.0 it was great, he has a 6.4 and he also told me get a PS or IDI because they were the best ones for a reliable easy to fix work vehicle. He wanted a Power Stroke but took a newer 6.4 because the deal was right and he knows how to fix them and has access to the tools to fix it .

Moretorque

Dunce
Reaction score
But a 6.4 IS a Powerstroke....

Sent from my USCC-C6721 using Tapatalk
The older 7.3 he was referring to, he basically said he did not care about the power. He lead me to believe the 6.7 was even more cantankerous, alot more emissions even over a 6.4 ?

Ruger_556

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The older 7.3 he was referring to, he basically said he did not care about the power. He lead me to believe the 6.7 was even more cantankerous, alot more emissions even over a 6.4 ?

More emissions is kind of a trend... -cuss First I've heard anything bad about a 6.7 though :dunno

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IDIBronco86

Members online