So far, so good.

cpm

Reaction score
With my new old f250.

I'd call this experiment a success.

I bought an '84(what the title says) F250 6.9 flatbed 2wd, automatic, 1 ton axles for very
little money. It's ugly, nasty (was where the dog used to sleep) and so on. I threw out
the old seat, and pulled a better seat out of an F150 I had laying around that's bound
for the recyclers, and pulled the door panels and installed them as well to cut down
on the noise. I wasn't sure about this, but I can say that I really like this truck. Aside
from running it out of fuel a few times (yes, I've done it more than once) this thing
is just great. That tranny shifts pretty hard, but I've gotten used to feathering it, and
it helps when it has a good load on it. Sure, it could use more power, but couldn't we all?

So, I think I want to get a real one. :)

For some reason, I just seem to end up with flatbeds. I want regular pickups, but all I can
find is flatbeds. But now I really do want a pickup.

What I'm hoping to find:

F250, unadulerated 6.9 iH 4 or 5 speed,
crew cab,
4x4
full bed pickup.
in reasonable condition.

I know such trucks exist, fellow I know a landscaper who has one, and I've coveted it
for a long time. His clock ticked over 200 recently, and he remains completely in love
with it, and won't sell. :)

So, how much should I stuff into the piggy bank for this? What would one reasonably
expect to pay?

And how common is this truck? I've not seen many.

Thanx in advance,
--chipper

LA350

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Find a replacement bed and slap it on? Should be cheaper since you like the truck, then you can drive and save up for another ;)

Exekiel69

Reaction score
Not too much, this trucks used go for a very low price and what You are asking for is pretty common.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
i paid 7500 after taxes and tags for the truck in my sig and avatar. so far i love it but would really like a turbo and ac. it took me 6 months working with a auction car dealer to find it. i to was running around with a beater for a while and decided to get a real one after falling in love with the diesel.

if you can live with extended cab, dually or 4x2 compramise it makes them much easier to find and cheeper.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah they didn't start offering a real crewcab F250 until the early 90s, not sure what year, maybe not until the PSD but definitely not with a 6.9. If you have a happy motor and the 1 ton axles you could pick up a crewcab(gas or diesel) and swap your drivetrain in it. A ZF5 or a GV od would help with your fuel mileage, and a turbo would get you a bit of extra power. If you sell the one you have you might not get more than a grand for it...it would be worth much more for the drivetrain.

cpm

Reaction score
well, that's a lot to think about.

I've gotta track that fellow down then. Since his truck doesn't really exist, no wonder he won't sell it :)

I don't know that it's a 250, I just thought it was. Perhaps it is a 350. I know it's a standard
bed, crew cab, 4x4 and a 6.9.

Perhaps he built it.

I'm sorry for being so clueless. But what is the history of this iH motor? It's a brilliant motor, I really like it. I can crawl around in there and actually work on it. Reminds me more of
agricultural equipment than highway stuff.

Other diesels I've lived with had a sweet spot where they really want to live while running.
What is the ideal rpm for this motor?

Thanks for all the clues.
--

Agnem

Using the Force!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a good historical FAQ at the top of this forum in our FAQ part 2.

subway

be nice to the admin :D
Reaction score
these engines seem to be happiest for miliage around the 1800 mark. dont worry we all start somewhere. when i first got my diesel i had no idea what the differance was between a powerstroke and IDI.

now i know that the powerstoke costs much more:D

the IDI's are easy and simple to work on though. probubly at least half the problem people have are just with air leaking in old fuel lines or needing new MOTORCRAFT glow plugs (dont use anything else).