So Bummed.

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So Bummed-Well NOT ANYMORE!

Well this evening started good. My Hypermax air induction came in the mail. So, mocked it up, marked the cutout, cut it out. What a pain that was. I tried with a 4 inch grinder with a cut off wheel and a air cut off tool. Finally said screw it and used the plasma cutter.

Put it together and took her for a test drive. I was only hoping for a 50-100f drop in egts. But damn I dont think I gained anything over the stock air intake. Hell, if anything it was worse.

That sucks. Ill do some more testing I guess. Ive read somewhere people saying they pick up a lot more air sound/whistle...I didnt get any of that. Sounds just like it does with the stock air intake. :dunno

Last edited:

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
not anymore

Well, I guess I was too quick to judge. This weekend I pulled my jeep up to Rausch Creek Like I always do and well heck yea, it does work. Id say the cowl intake lowered my EGT's by close to 200 degrees on the pyro maybe more. I guess I just needed to be working her to see the difference. But, I used to easily hit 1200f on the hills in PA at only 7psi of boost.

With the Hypermax intake I never went above 1100 and 99% of the big hills id only hit 1000f and that was with 9psi of boost. (I shortened the wastegate by 9 full turns. I maintained my speed much better...its like a new truck really. So 1000f at 9psi instead of 7psi...Ill take that for sure. Im guessing my egts would have even been lower if I hadn't chaged the wastegate.

So, I take back what I said...Im very impressed and very pleased. Next, Im replacing the downpipe.

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
Well there ya go... Thats sounds a lot cheaper and easier than an intercooler. Maybe you have found something out for those that don't or can't fit an intercooler... I really need to install my intercooler... I'm just too lazy these days and thats a shame on me... Two hypermax intercoolers and no desire to install one of them.... I sux....:cry:

The Warden

MiB Impersonator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I"m still wondering how the engine will like an intercooler AND a cowl induction setup? :angel:

Thank you for the post and the update...honestly, I'm a bit surprised that you didn't notice much of a difference off the bat, but as long as you're noticing a difference when loaded, it's well worth it...any idea what your fuel economy numbers are like before and after?

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cooler

Yea, I was starting to research an intercooler...but I will hold off now. Unless you send one of the hypermax over to me...Ill try it out.. lol. Seriously, I was very very happy with the performance increase. I really didnt believe it when I saw people write they dropped egts by 200f by just adding a cowl induction. I believe it now. I think I will adjust to 10-11 psi after I install the downtube and then call it good.

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
You might want to check and make sure that your air cleaner housing is sealing tight and you used plenty of sealer on the cowl mount at the firewall so it's airtight. If you loose pressure anywhere it will effect the performance of the system. Also having your AC or heat on fresh air on full blast while climbing a hill will compete with the intake air ( half speed or below on the climate control and you won't notice it)

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks

You might want to check and make sure that your air cleaner housing is sealing tight and you used plenty of sealer on the cowl mount at the firewall so it's airtight. If you loose pressure anywhere it will effect the performance of the system. Also having your AC or heat on fresh air on full blast while climbing a hill will compete with the intake air ( half speed or below on the climate control and you won't notice it)

Good advice on the climate control. Thank you. Hey, but I guess you didnt see my second message in the thread. :)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Good advice on the climate control. Thank you. Hey, but I guess you didnt see my second message in the thread. :)

No, I saw that, but I'd expect to see a bit more reduction. Could be the turbo type is making a difference being yours is a wastegated job, but I saw right around 300-350 deg across the board in egt reduction. In fact , it was so stinking low , and on a very cold day when I first took it out, It was rather amusing, when I got to town when I got to the farm store , I popped the hood, because I thought I had disconnected the probe for the pyrometer somehow, because it looked like it wasn't even registering LOL I had to take it out on the interstate and tromp on it to get a decent reading that day

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I ll check the air filter cover again...is there a way to check or know its sealed? I did check hypermax firewall mating for leaks. I would bet that I saw more than 200f but I had already turned up boost by tightening the waste gate. I still dont see much of a temp change just driving around...so I will check filter cover...not sure how to tell other looking at it

pt_Ranger_v8

Reaction score
So, would a cowl induction setup be more beneficial that a ram-air or good mounted scoop?

Halltrail

Full Access Member
Reaction score
cant help with a compare

I cant tell you if those would be better or the same...but I can tell you Im really happy with the hypermax. $100 bucks got me 200f - 300F less egts and allowed for 3psi more boost. Completely different truck. I havent check MPG yet...I do know that after a trip back home I usually go through the whole rear tank and left with about a 1/2 on the front tank. This trip I had more than 3/4 of tank of the front. So, by that unscientific method...it is better.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Staff online