Snap on or Craftsman tools?

91idi

Fiberglass *****
Reaction score
Kniepx are German but I have them BC nothing else last at work. The American make side cuts last a month or 2. My knipex side cuts are over a year old and still feel new. We cut cotter pins a lot (1/4-3/8). So the "made in the USA" makes you feel good but some times its not always the best. I do try for American made as much as I can. That's why I buy Cornell sockets that are made here. There is a video some where that shows rolls of steal bars that are stamped "made in the USA". Then they stamp the sockets in the Ohio factory. Same with the wrenches , ratchets, line-up bars, and pry bars. By you have to buy off a truck. The air tools are be baged I/r but again make sure its not the cheaper line. I like Cornell warranty BC it matches snap-on's. The sockets really impressed me after see how much effort and time and the quality of the process. They are a steal! On tool boxes, I agree it only holds tools but a craftsman box doesn't hold up in the automotive world like the bigger name ones do. I plan on. Passing my box down to my son to save him money. I didn't have to buy all of my tools at once and and go deep into dept BC dad shared tools. I got kicked out of the box a few times but learned how to take care of others tool and my own.
Tools are going to make you money. TAKE CARE OF THEM! If you borrow someone else's tool CLEAN THEM! Always, always, always get the grease, paint and oil off of tools. Dad is a paint and body man. I learned quickly oil and grease get him fired up! I don't do paint and body but I still don't want grease and oil in my box. I work on garbage truck currently. Some guys say why wipe anything down, tomorrow its just going to get dirty again? That tool no matter how cheap cost money. It is an investment. If you don't value your time or money anymore then that, DO NOT BUY TOOLS! Also keep out of my box!!
I got my 3 piece Craftsman chest for under $500 on sale and have stocked it with Craftsman tools. Some of my Craftsman tools are 27 years old by now and still get the job done. I have stripped ratchets, split mostly deep well sockets and worn out 12 point sockets with 18 volt impact guns. Most all of them got replaced at Sears 14 minutes away from me. The wrenches and sockets are ok by me. The ratchets, screw drivers and pliers are junk. I really need a better screw driver set. I like the Kliens for electrician work but am not sure about the auto end of things. I either use Klein or Knipex, even though they're German, for my pliers and am happy. There is a stray Snap On and Mac tool around but really can not afford them. Williams, Allen, old Husky, they are all welcome and are used to fill my 2nd and 3rd sets of tools. I have one for the shop, one set for work and one for the truck.

I am on the same page as Mel and avoid imported tools as much as I can. I think I have willingly purchased a made in China 15/16 wrench and socket from Ace Hardware in the middle of a snow storm for plow repairs. Other than that, if Craftsman is the best Made in USA quality I can afford, than so be it. The biggest problem is that Craftsman and SNAP ON from what I have heard are giving to the trend of selling foreign tools.:puke:

What kind of pride is "Designed and engineered in the USA, assembled in China" supposed to instill in a person?;Really:backoff

bab029

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm no professional, but these are my preferences:

Craftsman: wrenches and sockets are fine, ratchets and regular-line screwdrivers are kinda crappy (I have some stray craftsman-pro sdrivers that are really nice).

Snap on: I like, but can't afford. I have a few sdrivers, wrenches, and some ancient sockets I picked up from flea markets over the years. I Did grab a nice long handle flex head 3/8 drive off craigslist that is the **** compared to my craftsman stuff. Of all the makers, their screwdrivers are my favorite.

Kobalt: Don't hate, but I kind of like their stuff. Not made here, but good imo.

Harbor Freight: I have 1/2" impact sockets that are well used and holding up. The finish sucks, but they work. They also sell a sdriver set that is really good, and cheap enough to leave in the truck.

The only caveat here is that I have never made a dime off of any of my tools, so the professional world may differ in opinion.

chris142

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Imo IR air tools are the best. But the HF ones are very good too. I have an Earthquake impact and it is quieter and harder hitting than my IR ones. But I can't say if the Earthquake will be working in 20 yrs like the IR will. The $6 HF grinders and such are a great value too.

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Some time ago, for something like six-bucks, I bought a 9-piece set of H-F "wobble" extensions; three each in 1/4-, 3/8-, and 1/2-inch drive.

These are amazing and have made many near-impossible tasks into simple little chores.

I paid big money for a Makita 4-inch angle-grinder.

Having only the one small grinder and always needing it somewhere where it wasn't at, I bought a H-F Chicago Electric 4-1/2" angle-grinder on sale for sixteen-bucks, complete with a spare set of brushes, a new rock, and a side-handle.

This grinder performed so well that I bought another one that is dedicated to wire-brush use, so that I have a grind-rock on one and a wire-brush on the other, saving me tons of time that would otherwise be spent constantly swapping back and forth.

I thought the Makita was a really good grinder, but these very-affordable H-F units easily outperform the Makita and have lasted for several years and still going strong.

I have learned this about H-F electric tools, the tools branded Chicago-Electric are as good as any manufacturer's product (except, of course, Milwaukee brand); plus, all the extra attachments that the name-brands make you buy separate are usually included in the box with the H-F tool.

H-F "DrillMaster" branded electric tools are not nearly so high quality, nor long lived, as the Chicago Electric branded ones.

sassyrel

Reaction score
Some time ago, for something like six-bucks, I bought a 9-piece set of H-F "wobble" extensions; three each in 1/4-, 3/8-, and 1/2-inch drive.

These are amazing and have made many near-impossible tasks into simple little chores.

I paid big money for a Makita 4-inch angle-grinder.

Having only the one small grinder and always needing it somewhere where it wasn't at, I bought a H-F Chicago Electric 4-1/2" angle-grinder on sale for sixteen-bucks, complete with a spare set of brushes, a new rock, and a side-handle.

This grinder performed so well that I bought another one that is dedicated to wire-brush use, so that I have a grind-rock on one and a wire-brush on the other, saving me tons of time that would otherwise be spent constantly swapping back and forth.

I thought the Makita was a really good grinder, but these very-affordable H-F units easily outperform the Makita and have lasted for several years and still going strong.

I have learned this about H-F electric tools, the tools branded Chicago-Electric are as good as any manufacturer's product (except, of course, Milwaukee brand); plus, all the extra attachments that the name-brands make you buy separate are usually included in the box with the H-F tool.

H-F "DrillMaster" branded electric tools are not nearly so high quality, nor long lived, as the Chicago Electric branded ones.

interesting...keep that in mind...yup..

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I work on heavy equipment and trucks. I have access to about every truck other than Mac but i would not trade my Cornwell tools for anything. As mentioned above they are all made in the US from US steel and even the tools that arent made by them but have their name are made by OTC, IR, or GearWrench. if you are on a budget they do have a blue power line similar to blue point made overseas and are decent tools. As far as electric tools, buy Milwaulkee. And like someone said earlier they have great sales if there is something that i want but dont need right away i wait for the sale. I also make a lot of deals with my cornwell guy. The more he sells the more he makes so if there are a few things i want i will tell him I will buy this if you give X% off of that and he rarely says no. BTW if you are buying welders buy BLUE. Miller Electric has the best machines made. I have as much money in my welders as i do my hand tools

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In our shop, we broke so many Snap-On sockets that the route-truck guy won't even slow-down when he passes the shop.

His first visit was all "if anything breaks, just sit it on the counter and I will replace it with a new one on my next visit."

When he next visited, there were about five broken impact sockets sitting there waiting for him.

He grimaced and gritted his teeth and mutteringly replaced them.

Likewise on his next and final visit, and we haven't had him grace our establishment since.

Curiously, in our more than 60 years of existence, the MAC guy has never stopped.

Good old Harbor Freight PITTSBURGH sockets easily outlast them all and I can buy a whole set of H-F for what one measly Snap-On will cost.

I know others will argue the point until doomsday, but I have as good results with H-F PITTSBURGH tools, be they end-wrenches or sockets and ratchets, as I have ever had with any of the stylish fancy-name brands.

Nearly every tool in my personal arsenal has came from H-F; I wrench on tough projects as much as anyone; and, I can't remember when I have had a tool to fail, break, slip off, or perform un-satisfactorily in any way.

I have friends who slobber at the mouth whenever the Snap-On or MAC truck pulls in their drive-way; these guys are in debt to their eyeballs to these tool-truck drivers, paying enormous monthly payments and interest.

It is purely a racket, where nobody wins but the route-truck salesmen and the parent company.

I don't hold it against anyone if they can afford to go "first class"; but, my meager money comes much too hard to give it all to the fancy tool guy, when I can do just as well at less than 1/20 the cost. :)

theres a tech where i work at that used to say just about the same thing, but he stopped buying HF crap after he had a problem with one of there sockets.
he had bought there "inpact" set and was using a socket less then a week old, when the socket shattered and threw metal pieces all over the place, including his eye. i wonder if HF will pay for his eye surgery?

MIDNIGHT RIDER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
theres a tech where i work at that used to say just about the same thing, but he stopped buying HF crap after he had a problem with one of there sockets.
he had bought there "inpact" set and was using a socket less then a week old, when the socket shattered and threw metal pieces all over the place, including his eye. i wonder if HF will pay for his eye surgery?

I guess he got a big enough settlement from the safety-glasses manufacturer to more than pay for his inconvenience, right ?? :)

SyicoIDI

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate enough to inherit nearly all of my tools from my grandfather. I would say if I had to buy them all I would defiantly go with craftsman. Your young and in school listen to your old man. Buy the craftsman now, if you want nicer equipment later buy it when your tools are making you money. In other words "don't put the horse before the cart".
You must be registered for see images attach

Kelleyj1837

Reaction score
I think we touched every tool brand out there Snap on, Mac, Matco, Blue Point, Craftsman, Harbor Freight, S&K. I really dident think we would have this many oppions on this subject. Thanks guys for all the help.

1466IH

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dont know where you are going to school but like someone said earlier a lot of tool companies have student programs to buy their tools cheap. A friend of mine went to Wyotech and was able to buy SnapOn tools cheaper than he could buy Craftsman. If you have been wrenching for a while, on the farm, home garage or whatever chances are you will still be using the tools weather you wrench at work or not so if you can afford it buy what you want because you will always use them

460mudsports

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing I have noticed about sockets (not impact) - you can generaly tell the quality of any them by the thickness of the wall and how well centered it is. If they have a decent warranty, thinner walls is a better socket. Many older quality brands used to make good thin wall sockets out of better metal with better quality control. Now they have resorted to making the walls thicker to increase strength and using cheaper materials. I have seen many new sockets that the hex hole was visibly uncentered in the socket.

I too have a mix of all the major brands Craftsman, SnapOn, Mac, JH Williams, SK, SK-Wayne, Thorsen, Industro, NAPA, Proto, Blackhawk, TruTest, KD, Easco, and many others. Many have been handed down from my father that he purchased in the early 70's.
I had generally bought Craftsman when buying new, because of price and warranty. Since Kmart bought Sears the quality went way down and they keep reducing the warranty and the product line shrinks too - ie they eliminated the lifetime warranty on tape measures several years ago and replaced it with one that didn't incude the blade and now they don't even make tape measures or hammers.
But....older Craftsman tools I do still like. I just don't trust them to be warrantied with as good of a replacement.

Like many have said - buy what you can afford to pay cash for. Some of the best tool bargains I have found have been yard sales and flea markets. Watch on Ebay or Craiglist if you can. If you don't limit yourself to only one brand, but buy good name brands USED you can get a lot for your money. Many times you can find good single pieces at pawn shops that dump tool box contents into tables at "every piece is a $1, etc".

One brand I am particularly found of, nobody has mentioned - Proto. Currently it is the professional line of Stanley and may be labeled Stanley Proto, but they are still excellent tools. The older Proto tools, that are only stamped Proto, are second to none. Their extensions have the thinnest profile I have ever seen and are still VERY strong - my main 1/4" drive extension is only 3/16" diameter in between the ends. It is made like this 3/8" one on ebay
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Proto-tools..._Automotive_Tools&hash=item3a7bac3b64&vxp=mtr

My main combination wrench sets happen to NAPA branded, but they are USA made - at the time(mid 80's) by a company in Ft. Smith, AR - that was also making Craftsman and Easco. Some house brands have decent warranties and are good quality - I have a few John Deere brand sockets which I think were made by SnapOn in the early 80's and have a lifetime warranty at any JD dealer.

Electric hand tool wise: I generaly buy used and a lot of them come from ebay. I have had very good luck with most Milwaukee tools, and I bought several thousand dollars worth of them (most portabands) used for my old job. I also have had very good service from the Makita tools made in the mid to late 80's to about 92.

Ronnie

79jasper

Chickenhawk
Reaction score
Not sure if I might've skipped over it, but does anyone have anything on "blue flame" air tools?
A friend has an air ratchet by them and said they're better than most other name brand stuff.

MUDKICKR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess he got a big enough settlement from the safety-glasses manufacturer to more than pay for his inconvenience, right ??

no he was wearing safety glasses, but i guess noone has ever heard of something going around them, smartass, by the way, there is no way HF sockets last longer then snap-on stuff. i am in no way-shape-or-form going to get into a which tool is better debate with someone with over 60 years experience, which makes you what 80?, but there is a lot of truth and a lot of ******** on the internet, and reading that i call ********. i have a HF about 3 miles from my house, and have tried there tools several times. i had a 10 mm wrench that broke the open end on, using as directed, and it broke, not stretched, broke, quality tool eh, many of there sockets and various other stuff have broke on me, burned up several of there angle grinders, ect. but, they do have some tools that are good, i have a inner tie rod tool from them and it works great, tubing bender, press, and other small things that work good. im not going to write this in thick black letters cause im not some arrogant ass but the best thing for the OP to do is go to a few local shops and chat with a few techs, ask them about the service of the mac/snap-on/ect and see what they recommend, cause everyone on the internet has 60+ years experience and plenty of "good" advise to give.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m2rtin