Snap-On MT257 questions

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
My Kent Moore timing light is no longer working and parts have been lost, im now attempting to use a brand new Snap-On Mt257 timing adaptor.
Its easy to set up and get a timing light pulsing. But....do I need to mark 8.5 degrees or whatever my desired timing setting is, on the timing plate on the crank pulley? Anyone in the know with these Snap On adaptors?

gerlbaum

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is just like timing a gasser. Set the advance on the light to 8.5, bring the truck up to 2k and check timing. With the light advance set to 8.5 and flashing on the crank, the pulley mark should read at the top dead center mark.

There was a video of someone doing the timing around here somewhere. It was really awesome because he had a bunch of tricks in it - like buying a turn buckle to help hold the 2k rpm and to help rotate the pump.

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think it is just like timing a gasser. Set the advance on the light to 8.5, bring the truck up to 2k and check timing. With the light advance set to 8.5 and flashing on the crank, the pulley mark should read at the top dead center mark.

There was a video of someone doing the timing around here somewhere. It was really awesome because he had a bunch of tricks in it - like buying a turn buckle to help hold the 2k rpm and to help rotate the pump.

That's exactly how you do it.
I remember that video, wish I'd saved it...

IDIBRONCO

IDIBRONCO
Reaction score
I like to use a white out pen and mark the zero mark and the balancer groove before I set the timing. It makes them a lot easier to see. It even worked 20 years ago when my eyes worked better.

Kevin 007

Full-floater
Reaction score
Ha! Good point. Especially since I seem to only get the chance to work on my own things after dark, every little bit helps

saburai

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought some paint markers for a variety of tasks, one of them was the timing marks on both trucks. I haven't gotten around to it because it wasn't really necessary, I could see the marks just fine. I'm sure it would be even more visible with the paint and I'll do it when I can find the round to it that I misplaced...

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I saw that video, it was on YouTube.

Duke57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I kept jerking my head back when he got close to those fan blades. lol

grizzlyjosh

Reaction score
The turnbuckle trick is cool but I just cut a chunk of wood into a wedge and stuck it under the throttle lever. That way I could fine tune the RPMs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lance

Members online