Snagged a good deal....I think

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey all, So I have a chance to buy a 7.3 turbo motor out of a 94' f350, the engine is complete minus the turbocharger itself, all the intake and exaust are there, my question is do i have to use a turbo that came on this model or can I put something else on there(Garret,Banks) and still use the same setup it has now? I am going to pull the intake and exaust off it and use it on my 6.9(Just rebuilt, or I would use the 7.3) Would the injectors and the pump do anything for me on the power side? Also will the serpentine belt setup work on my 6.9? Thanks -Brad-

IDIeselman

Reaction score
B Rad, That is a good find if it's the IDI and not a powerstroke ,You can definetly use the aftermarket turbo on this motor, You may have to use that manufactures exhaust to the turbo but I think you could find your way around that.I don't think there is any benifit to using that intake and exhaust as I believe they are the same except the intake has 2 threaded holes in the back to mount the GP controler. The pump and injectors would help alot providing they are in good condition. The serp system I can't say as I have never had a problem with the v belts. Don't let that motor get away, It's innards are highly sought after.
Tim

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
As stated above but... The serpentine belt system will bolt right up to any 6.9 or 7.3 motor. Now you really don't know if its truely a turbo motor till you see the block serial number & take the motor apart. The turbo block casting numbers are10809000C3 and is part of the casting. The searial numbers start at 1,116,331 and go up from there. Also the oil port to the turbo is 1/4 inch pipe where the non turbo motors are 1/8th inch pipe. Inside the motor the turbo motor has larger wrist pins but everything else is the same as the non turbo motor. Any motor can be sold as a turbo motor. If this motor has never been out of the truck then yes, it MAY be a turbo motor. All non turbo motors searial numbers started at 500,079 and went up to 1,116,330.

Dieselguy123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
224,000K on the motor, Guy told me it ran good when pulled from the truck about 5 years ago............but you had to hold the acclerater all the way to the floor to get it to start and then it would smoke white for a min or two and clear up,I Was thinking maybe bad injectors, but at 150 bucks who cares:D , just as a core its worth way more. I have to find a day to go and get it though, its about 2 1/2 hours north of me and that puts me into the U.P. Where the snow is probably waste deep:puke: ,Thanks for the info, -Brad-

icanfixall

Official GMM hand model
Reaction score
I bought a 7.3 on Ebay about 8 months ago for $78.50. When I picked it up I knew the cylinders were going to be wet because all the injectors were gone. Got it home and pulled the heads. Sure nuff, wet and rusty but I planned to sleeve it so I started to turn it just to cut out some of the rust.....:mad: It would only turn so far forward and backward. They I noticied # 5 piston was not moving up or down....:eek: :mad: So I turned the motor over on the stand and removed the pan. Broken rod but.... It broke off right at the crank and did no other damage other than a 3/8 inch cut in the pan that the guy had covered with mud and dirt. Funny thing is I asked him why he pulled the motor. " it has high miles on it" Boy it sure did. Even the cam bearings were worn thru to the copper. Anyway, that motor was cheap and all I lost was 1 rod for a core and the heads are 4.800 tall so they haven't been milled but a valve job has been done. They have bronze guides in them. Just the cores for the crank, block or heads are worth more than what I paid for it. I'm sure this ebay seller has run back to Mexico after he sold me a piece of crap in his mind. He told me he lives here ans in Mexico sometimes. Sure had a cute young wife too..:angel: A member here said I should have driven back by his home and stop in to tell him all it needed was a set of injectors and paint. Geez... Look at how well it runs...:rotflmao :rotflmao ;Really

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nanohawk