smoking on idle cured

metrobruce

Reaction score
some of you know that I have had one or two issues with regards to smoke, particularly on idle. I have been sampling allsorts of different mixes, different filter setups and different processing. over the past 5k of driving I have had one filter plug up on the vehicle and one of my inline 15 micron filters on my filter setup took a dislike to heat and expanded into a tenis ball sized ball, RUG seems to not have the desired effect at 15% so I have scrapped that off and replaced it with regular diesel fuel.

I was getting increasingly worried about my filtering and de-watering techneque but it seems to be working ok just filtering down to 15microns, I had to advance the timing to get the fuel to burn cleaner and I now have two filters on the feed from the tank with a looped return. still I was getting smoke at idle and I couldnt work out why, until I discovered that I was burning alot of sump oil and upon investigation the inlet manifold had a small pool forming in the bottom of the inlet manifold. what was causing the smoke was the lack of a breather oil vapour trap, it is suposed to be mounted on a vertical face of the rocker cover but like an idiot I decided to leave this off and pipe it straight to the inlet trowing oild straight down its kneck, I have fitted this and now it is very clean when idling. its taken me some time to sort but its been worth it

Brad S.

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice to read about good things happening, even if it was a "redo" on something a person did before.
Think the old saying "if I had a quarter, dime, or nickel for every time that happened to me" applies here...???(or in English terms a 20 pence, 10 pence, 5 pence, just so no one thinks I'm smart, had to research those coin values)

That breather sounds a lot like the CDR valve we wrestle with on the IH IDI's.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JU57US

Members online