Smokey Starting

1SGschilling

First Sergeant
Reaction score
I have a 2500 dodge desiel with a ****** straight six, 2001 model year, 5.9 24 value. For some reason after letting the truck sit over night or all day at work, she fire up quickly, but begins to smoke (blue) not (white). She will not rev up and the motor seem to go quite. She will not pull herself. After 5 to 8 mins of warming up and smoking, SHE KICKS IN, everything is fine. I also noticed that while running at 65 mph, in cruise she will somethimes loose power and then the turbo kicks in to keep her moving. I replace the turbo, was told by many that the gate valve was stuck open, this did not fix the problem.

Don't think its bad fuel, not white smoke but blue.
No collant leak.
Not burning oil.

Could this be a air leak in the fuel system or value seals, allowing oil to settle in the cyclinders?

thanks, Scott

Whit

Reaction score
I would suspect a bad lift pump as well, or posible a plugged screan on the pickup inside the tank, this would be a good chance to get a fuel pressure gauge installed for trouble shooting ..........the OEM lift pump is the weak link of the 24 valve trucks

Here is a pic of the pickup inside the tank...............notice the Fass II pump setting next to it? I have installed 9 Fass units for people in the last monthand 3 more yet to go, they are great, I dont sell em or charge to put them in I am just helping out my fellow Cummins dudes

Attachments

• Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 7

1SGschilling

First Sergeant
Reaction score
Ok, thanks for the help and info........so how much does one of these lift pumps cost????

Whit

Reaction score
1SGschilling said:
Ok, thanks for the help and info........so how much does one of these lift pumps cost????

Contact Rip at www.sourceautomotive.biz he will fix ya up good on a FassII pump at a good price .......the Fass II pump kit comes complete with pump, lines and complete wiring including relay

holtzer1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah, dont waste your money on a factory lift pump, get a FASS kit, you wont be disappointed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RangerDanger

Members online