Small Differences between BJ & KP D60?

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
What differences are there with brakes etc between the ball joint & king pin Dana 60s? I'm looking to put one under my '94 F250 and I know both will fit, I just want to know what minor variations there are and if one matches better to my existing stock parts.

Thanks

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
I don't think there is a difference other than on the BJ model, you'll be doing them every 100k miles or so, and the KP model, you'll never need to touch them.

WILLD420

Reaction score
If you plow, run larger than 37" tires, or jump the truck, go with the Kingpin. For everything else the balljoints will be just fine as long as you aren't the guy that can break a ball bearing with a rubber mallet in a sand box. Price is usually the big factor. Around here a kingpin will fetch 12-1400 bucks, a balljoint one 900-1100 bucks.

junk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"as long as you aren't the guy that can break a ball bearing with a rubber mallet in a sand box"

Laughed my ass off on this....Very funny.

freebird01

Post Turtle!
Reaction score
another good one is crack an anvil with a wooden spoon...

some of the newer trucks had different calipers too IIRC pads and rotors are the same though

IDIDieselJohn

0-60....eventually
Reaction score
^^ Ah yes that is right, the 92+ Fords had bolt on calipers, while the older ones had the rubber sleeves to hold them on. Love those though, all you needed for a front brake job was a hammer and a punch! :D

jhenegh

Truck Still Earns its Keep
Reaction score
Sounds good. I appreciate it! I am planning on hanging an 8ft Western Ultramount on this truck so that's why I'm not interested in working on my D50 (it needs attention SOON). If I'm gonna freshen up springs, u-joints etc, I'd prefer it be on a D60. I'll keep my eyes peeled for either. I knew the BJ models were 100% match, nice to know the kingpin models aren't any different, just that brake pin difference.

Am I correct in saying getting the complete axle, steering, springs, brackets should be a priority? I see some "axle only" ones for sale and I just see a lot of missing parts when I see those ads

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You don't need springs at the time being, the D60 will bolt up to your D50 springs. Do get the steering linkage if it's good shape, also the trac bar, its bracket to the frame, and, if you can, the f350 pitman arm. If axle comes without springs, make sure at least you get the cast iron spring plate that goes on driver side of axle next to diff housing. KP axles use totally different calipers and brake pads, so if yours are in good shape and you don't wanna get new ones, u should probably look for a a balljoint D60 axle.

towcat

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don't need springs at the time being, the D60 will bolt up to your D50 springs. Do get the steering linkage if it's good shape, also the trac bar, its bracket to the frame, and, if you can, the f350 pitman arm. If axle comes without springs, make sure at least you get the cast iron spring plate that goes on driver side of axle next to diff housing. KP axles use totally different calipers and brake pads, so if yours are in good shape and you don't wanna get new ones, u should probably look for a a balljoint D60 axle.
wrong.
yes you can bolt up a d60 to a d50 spring, but the ride quality is going to be in the toilet no matter what you do to it.

Iowa 73

FNM
Reaction score
^^ Ah yes that is right, the 92+ Fords had bolt on calipers, while the older ones had the rubber sleeves to hold them on. Love those though, all you needed for a front brake job was a hammer and a punch! :D
'95 and up.

LCAM-01XA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wrong.
yes you can bolt up a d60 to a d50 spring, but the ride quality is going to be in the toilet no matter what you do to it.
Ah yes, there is that. What I meant was that he shouldn't miss on a good deal on a D60 just cause it has no springs to go with it - as long as the important parts are there (mainly the cast iron spring plate for the drive side, cause a trac bar bracket is now readily available from at least two manufacturers) it would be foolish not to jump on it as long as price is good. Should have worded it better I suppose.