Small Diesel Engine Possibilities

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon. I am looking for some input on a small diesel engine, something as small as 40 or as much as about 80 horsepower. I am considering rebuilding the gasser 4.5 V8 in my Mercedes 350 SL, then I started thinking about the Mercedes 5 cylinder diesel, and then I said why not totally bastardize the thing and put something that makese sense in there.

Just a few things I am considering: I would love a simple, IDI industrial 3 or 4cylinder as it will fit nicely and should make enough power. I can make a custom bellhousing/adapter and/or change transmissions/rear end combinations to fit the power curve. I would really like something that would drink WMO, but that's somewhat secondary at this point. I am thinking Yanmar or Kubota, but I'm not too picky. I am thinking marine or tractor as they are bullet proof and parts availability should be good, but in general I am thinking older technology is probably the way to go as they car is now almost 40 years old.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

R. J.

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that this probably shouldn't be in this forum, however, everybody knows most of the creative thinking is done down here in the basement.

(insert other forums objections here ;Poke)

RLDSL

Diesel fuel abuser
Reaction score
Wow, I wasn't even thinking air cooled. Did I mention creativity in the Northwest?

Any details on potential Deutz engine models?

I can't remember squat about those things, but you are in the right neighborhood to stumble across a few dozen of the things used, cheap ;Sweet
They used to be very popular around there and parts north.

h2odrx

Anti-O
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that this probably shouldn't be in this forum, however, everybody knows most of the creative thinking is done down here in the basement.

(insert other forums objections here ;Poke)
You might want to move this to the conversion forum???
I'd say Kubota, but not marine they like lots of cold water!

lotzagoodstuff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Probably a 300 D would bolt right in. Get the one with a turbocharger.

Although most of the old Mercedes stuff is very interchangable and the 5 cylinder MB engines are great, MB never put a diesel engine in the 350/450/380/560 SL chassis. Although there are a couple of folks who've done it, it is a total custom job. The topper is that the 5 cylinder 300 D and SD engines are too tall so you have to modify the hood for extra clearance.

If I'm going to do all that, I might as well do something creative and go for mileage and uniqueness.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
4 cylinder Deutz air cooled??

I second that. My bailer that I drive has a 4cylinder Deutz air cooled motor. The coolest sounding motor ever. Has something like 8000 hours on it, 95% of which is at its goverened rpm. Rated at like 70hp N/A, Has an inline pump, so I'm sure you could turn up the fuel, and adapt a turbo to it. Goverened rpm is a little low at 2150rpms though, that might cause a problem.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That might be a problem with MB gearing they like to redline up around 3500-4500, however you could probably redline it a lot higher in a small car like that. Its a lot less load on it than a hay bailer.

FordGuy100

Reaction score
That might be a problem with MB gearing they like to redline up around 3500-4500, however you could probably redline it a lot higher in a small car like that. Its a lot less load on it than a hay bailer.

Yeah...but I'm sure they can rev higher, its just they are goverened at that speed cause its the best rpm to bail hay at? Maybe LOL.

Its 3.7 liters I believe. Trying to remember all that was said on it. It only goes through like 20 gallons a day at Govered rpm for like 10 hours, so its pretty fuel efficient I would say.

Diesel JD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 gph is really good for a motor of that size at governed RPM. I don't know how easy it would be to get into that pump and make it let you rev up to 3500-4000 or what would happen if you did that. Would it fly apart? Would the fuel economy be cut in half? I don't know....

Michael Fowler

Reaction score
Although most of the old Mercedes stuff is very interchangable and the 5 cylinder MB engines are great, MB never put a diesel engine in the 350/450/380/560 SL chassis. Although there are a couple of folks who've done it, it is a total custom job. The topper is that the 5 cylinder 300 D and SD engines are too tall so you have to modify the hood for extra clearance.

If I'm going to do all that, I might as well do something creative and go for mileage and uniqueness.

How tough would it be to lay that tall engine over at maybe 45 degrees? Is there enough chasis width to allow the engine to rotate about the crank centerline? Would it require any more fabricating than mounts and a different sump, and oil pick up?